Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 08-18-2007   #1

Default $1,000 in-ear headphones? Have I lost my mind....

I think I may have lost my mind. Only you can be the judge.

I just replaced my Etimotyic Research in-ear monitors with Ultimate Ears' top in-ear model called the UE10.

These are three way, custom ear molded in-ear speakers that are mainly used by artists on stage so they can a) protect their hearing on stage and b) get their own custom mix right into their heads.

Besides the investment of $1,000 for the pair (there are slightly cheaper ones too) you have to go get fitted for custom ear molds which I did as there is a VERY NICE woman who does a lot of Hollywood types just 1 block from our offices. Unfortuantely, UE made the fit too tight and we remade one of the ear molds so it fit more comfortably into my ears.

In comparison to my old system the UE setup has more actual earphone to provide more hearing protection. The 3 way system has WAY better bass. The downside so far (I JUST GOT THEM) is they are harder to get in and out of your ears than the old ones and I have yet to find a way to get the cables to hang right. They need to be tucked behind your ears and I find that to be a little odd. A major advantage is unlike the Etymotics, these UE in-ear monitors can have the cable replaced. I might need a longer one so I can run the cable down my back and stash my iPod in the treadmill at the gym.

For me, these speakers are a lifesaver. Imagine sitting on a plane and somebody's crying baby is going OFF - 25 dB less of it with 8000 of your best songs on your iPods is a welcomed refuge. At the gym, I might even crank these up too loud but when your headphones SOUND GOOD - it helps keep you motivated to keep going.

Another advantage for travel is the fact that they are small and light. My briefcase is REALLY heavy these days and the fact these weigh basically nothing is cool.

Many thanks to Ivy at Headroom for making the recomendation... They sell a TON of cool headphone related items.

What earphones do you use with your iPod? What's in your travel rig?
Old 08-20-2007   #2

Default Re: $1,000 in-ear headphones? Have I lost my mind....

Have you lost your mind.......Hmmm................let me think about this.
You seem to have the disposable income so that your not taking food off your table to buy your toys & you travel extensively so why they may not be the most practical choice........ no you have not lost your mind!

Now if I'd bought them you could safely say I had lost my mind.

As for my ipod setup......................
I don't have one!
I didn't take the white pill (sorry Steve!)!

The main time I listen to something like this is when I'm mowing my yard (I mow 4 acres & it does take a while).
I use a Sony AM/FM Walkman with my Racing Radios hearing protectors/stereo headsets that I also use at the racetrack & when I go to the dentist to drown out the noise of that damn drill!!!
It's not fancy but it gets the job done!
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2007   #3

Jerry,

As an anesthesiologist, we frequently use in ear 'phones' for listening to esophageal stethescopes. I had a great relationship with one of the reps who gave use these and I found after several ear molds that they all were to some degree dependent on my facial tone. ie when I smiled, one was loose and I never quite got an earmold to be truly comfortable for me despite several attempts.

Has this been an issue at all for you??

KT

....as for losing your mind.... can one lose that which is already lost??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #4

Much like Martin Scorsesi - I never smile thus this isn't an issue. At least on camera

Flying to Maui today and will play with them. I have the old ones too which are smaller molds. They don't block out as much sound.
Old 08-21-2007   #5

My itunes library is all Apple Lossless, and at home l listen through a MOTU audio interface jacked straight into Stax Lambdas making for a very hi-fi rig.

On the go, it's Sony MDR-EX71s, reasonable price and sound, but not great. They do stay put pretty well. But the D-to-A converters on the ipod are pretty low rez, so I can't see spending $1000 to listen to its mediocre sound. That's like plugging Wilson Watts into a Pioneer receiver.

If I cared what the ipod sounded like, I'd be sporting a Headroom Micro Amp with DAC, and a BIG battery pak! AFTER that, I'd splash for the fancy 'phones. The original audiophile axiom - Start at the Source!

http://www.headphone.com/products/he...-micro-amp.php

http://www.headphone.com/productphot...11600_2840.jpg

Last edited by irlsanders; 08-21-2007 at 06:37 PM..
irlsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
Have you lost your mind.......Hmmm................let me think about this.
You seem to have the disposable income so that your not taking food off your table to buy your toys & you travel extensively so why they may not be the most practical choice........ no you have not lost your mind!

Now if I'd bought them you could safely say I had lost my mind.

As for my ipod setup......................
I don't have one!
I didn't take the white pill (sorry Steve!)!

The main time I listen to something like this is when I'm mowing my yard (I mow 4 acres & it does take a while).
I use a Sony AM/FM Walkman with my Racing Radios hearing protectors/stereo headsets that I also use at the racetrack & when I go to the dentist to drown out the noise of that damn drill!!!
It's not fancy but it gets the job done!

WE all have our places to dump money. Mine's RC planes. I also haven't joined the Ipod generation but use earbuds to listen to music on my destop computer. I have a set of Bose earbuds but Like my cheaper Sonys better because of the fit and they actually have more volume. I've been tempted to get a set of the Shure plugs but that's as much as I'll spend.

Scott
ScottV is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bose, custom, dental, drill, drown, ear, etimotyc, fit, florida, head, headphones, mold, monitor, phones, revolutionary