Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 01-18-2010   #1

Default Vintage Speaker Identification

Hello, I'm new -

I have a question

I have a Bell and Howell speaker i wish to start a project on - thing is, i'm not sure about what i'm dealing with. There is no real identification of the speaker rating or - well.. i'm not really sure what i have..

Take a look: http://www.imagehousing.com/imageupload.php?id=345305

If someone could tell me what i have? those are all the markings on the unit. and if the connector at the top is some kind of power input? what should i use? i can get sound through the lead but it's very very low - i know i need an amp but i'm curious if i can make this speaker go louder - how? and what that connector is for at the top..

Any help is appreciated.. )
timmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Vintage Speaker Identification

That looks like a really old unit. It may be that it has a 70v line transformer inside. If you could get inside and tap right onto the speaker itself, it is probably an 8 ohm speaker. It would require an amplifier of some sort for sure. What are you using now?
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #3

Hah ok, i'll take a look in a minute.. It's a project i'm doing for a portable system.. for a retro - erm, beach trip you'll see!

anyway, right now i'm using two DALI 80 and 2x DALI 107 speakers - they do me just fine

thank you for the reply - i'll go take a look in a min..
Old 01-18-2010   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
That looks like a really old unit. It may be that it has a 70v line transformer inside. If you could get inside and tap right onto the speaker itself, it is probably an 8 ohm speaker. It would require an amplifier of some sort for sure. What are you using now?
Yep - it is a very old one.. I think that 'inline' idea was correct. There are the two wires connecting the input to the 'power' input as you suggested.. i can't however get right into the system, it has a great big bloody magnet at the back - i cant see a transforner though, infact - all i can see are those wires going straight to the magnet at the back.. thats it - i'm not familiar with audio electronics, or electronics in general.

So how would i connect this thing up? I can quite easily take a line and connect it but like it said - it's very very low. I thought about getting one of this CMOY pocket amplifer - or something very simple and battery operated.. have you any suggestions?

I have the audio source figured, and i can drag a line out from it, so thats ok
Old 01-18-2010   #5
Administrator

Ok, it sounds like it has an electromagnet on it. They used to use those in yesteryear before they were able to get high powered magnets in speakers. Electromagnet speakers need to be used with an amplifier that has a power connection for the electromagnet. I don't think you will have much success with that speaker if indeed it has an electromagnet.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbinck View Post
Ok, it sounds like it has an electromagnet on it. They used to use those in yesteryear before they were able to get high powered magnets in speakers. Electromagnet speakers need to be used with an amplifier that has a power connection for the electromagnet. I don't think you will have much success with that speaker if indeed it has an electromagnet.
Right - that's not good news then. Maybe i can get another speaker for the casing - the casing is very retro

Thank you for your help nontheless!

I will continue playing until i get bored however, heh.
Sponsored Links

Tags
2010, audio, bell, calibration, card, codes, computer, connectors, emotion, howell, id, identification, inputs, speaker, speakers, stereo, vintage