Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 12-27-2009   #1

Default Large Advent guy looking for advice

Hi, I am new to the forum and see there are a lot of good ideas floating around out there.

My specific situation is that I have been listening to two pairs of large Advents produced in the early 70's. These are powered through a new McIntosh MA 6300 intergated amp. I have had the speakers for about 35 years and just feel it is time.

The Advents have great base response but I suspect that I am not getting all of the detail, sound stage, and high frequency response that is out there.

I have listened to Snell J7's in my listening room and they provide much better detail and soundstage. However the lack of bass makes them sound a little but "thin" to me and I would prefer to not invest in a sub woofer.
I actually like the Klipsch horn sound but feel their RF series lack mid range coloration. The Paradigm products I have heard seem to have much better timbre but sound a little bit veiled to me.

A reviewer form Affordable Audio has suggetsed that I audition the Vandersteen C series before buying anything.

Other speakers on the current short list include Sierra 1's and JMPS 626R's.

Any advice out there in the $1000 to $2000 a pair range?

And what does anyone know about the Vandersteens?

Please and thanks!
spotter is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advent, advents, bass, j7, lack, large, power, powered, rear, review, reviews, snell, speaker, speakers, surround