Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 11-11-2008   #43

Default Re: Best Sounding Speakers According to Scientific Tests

Wow man, your test was great.
But you should have included more brands specially the ones in 0-1000$ range.
Devia234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008   #44

There is no doubt that planar speakers sound different andf generally "airier" than cone speakers. But I have heard some amazingly good cone speakers too. In the more distant past I loved the Waveform 17 active crossover speakers with separate driver amplification and the amazing egg-shaped housing on top for the tweeters. Sadly, I believe the designer, John Otvos, ceased production quite a few years back.

Happily, Siegfried Linkwitz (of Linkwitz-Riley crossover fame) designed the Orion active-crossovered speaker which sounds even better(amazingly) than the much older Mach 17. But, like a planar or electrostatic speaker, it requires being set-up about 3-4 feet from the front wall to achieve its' magic. When set up properly, its sweet spot is so enormous you can stand or sit just about anywhere. Linkwitz's site is also one the the best audio sites in existence.

Greg
gstarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2008   #45

Hi all,

After 38 years of "perfecting" my audio system I finally got big Maggies after having owned a lot of good dynamic speakers and before my Maggies a set of full-range Martin Logans, the CLS IIz. But the MLs just could not play loud enough for my taste ...

My Maggies, the 3.6R have all the qualities my MLs had in spades but they can play loud, you will need a pair of excellent strong mono amplifiers though.

Plus Magnepan cut some corners with their design to keep it affordable. I got Mye-stands for mine and am preparing a major XO-upgrade. Anyway, even out of the box those Maggies will beat anything else up to @10.000 bucks ...

So the findings of your listening panel comes as no surprise.

If you never auditioned them and you have 4000 bucks to spend, try them, you'll never look back.

Regards, Jörg.

Last edited by yawg; 11-16-2008 at 01:32 PM..
yawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #46

^

Any updates on this 1 year 8 months later? I know OP said he they were only 60% finished, curious to see the final results.
LarsMarkelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010   #47
wes

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarsMarkelson View Post
^

Any updates on this 1 year 8 months later? I know OP said he they were only 60% finished, curious to see the final results.
I wonder, by the way I run clinical trials for a living some of them costing hundreds of millions of $, and when I look at this test I would agree this is major BS.. someone is living in fantasy island. Fun to read also there is nothing more subjective than to listen to music.
wes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2010   #48

I have been involved in high fidelity since 1969 and I finally got Martin Logan ESL and my search for the best speaker is over....its Martin Logan. Period
PalmHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
5000, audio, logan, loudspeakers, maggie, magnepan, martin, mg12, mmg, pair, speakers, time, vantage, versus, vs