Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   HIGH END PHONES (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/210-high-end-phones.html)

deacongreg 06-26-2007 11:32 AM

HIGH END PHONES

When the kids are sleep, or your neighbors, for that matter, what do you do, to get the clash of the cymbal, the footsteps of the T - Rex in Jurassic Park, or that articulate bass from your Stanley Clarke DVD? High end headphones, I must tell you, bring realism and a closeness and excitement to the musical experience, like nothing else can. Especially if you are using a headphone amplifier from Headroom, or any of the other companies.
Anyone like to share their experience with headphones?

JerryDelColliano 06-29-2007 08:59 PM

Re: HIGH END PHONES

I used the Etimotic Research in-ear monitors with custom ear molds on airplanes and with my iPod.

The ear molds were made by an audiologist thus they require a fitting session as if you were getting a hearing aid. It was an odd experience but worth it. The next time you are sitting next to a craying baby - you will thank me for suggesting you take the time to get the molds. They drop the background noise easily 25 dB.

The in-ear monitors sound GREAT. They sound fast and dyanmic. MP3 isn't the greatest format but just today I was jamming some "D'yer Maker" on the plane while tying to ignore the HUGE guy next to me with three (I am not making this up) Blackberries. Maybe it was a Seattle thing but MAN that was lame.

bluzrip 07-05-2007 04:16 PM

I'm not a moderator here ;) but I'll bite. Like Jerry, I enjoy Etymotic in-ear monitors for travel. I also own a pair of Sennheiser HD600 headphones and a Musical Fidelity X-CAN V2 headphone amp with many part upgrades. This rig is used for CD listening at home and is quite satisfying. My only regret is that the HD600's are not sealed (they are open back). This means that others in the room will hear what you are listening to, a fact that limits their usefullness for late-night listening sessions. My wife finds that music "leakage" just enough to interrupt her sleep. :(

JerryDelColliano 07-06-2007 07:31 AM

I jinxed myself

Since posting this - I jinxed myself and broke one of my etimotics. Its not the first time. The little end broke off in my ear mold.

DAMN IT!!!!!

j

Brian 07-06-2007 08:11 AM

Ill second the recommendation of the Etymotics. I find them to be much more comfortable than the Shure's I have listened to. Unless you are going to get a custom ear mold like Jerry discussed, it is important to see which in ear monitors fit your ear best because if they are uncomfortable to wear you wont use them no matter how good they sound.
Brian

deacongreg 07-06-2007 10:08 AM

First, Jerry, I real sorry to hear that. Especially with all the traveling you do. Maybe the folks at Etymotics can do something for you, since this is not the first time. I`m not a big fan of anything stuck in my ear, so I go with headphones like Grado and Sennheiser. I probably would have to get ear molds made like Jerry, because my ENT doctor told me, that my ear canal was a little small.
bluzrip, the people at Headroom "Right between your Ears" are excellent. HeadRoom - Right Between Your Ears
They call themselves, headphone geeks, and have the widest selection that I know of, of headphones, and headphone amps in the industry. I do not know if you are looking to get another pair of cans, so not to wake up your wife, but I believe the Headroom folks can help you out.