Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 06-21-2008   #1
anm

Default Polk RTi A9 vs Klipsch RF82 vs JBL 890

Hi,
It is difficult to find any reviews for Polk RTi A9. Seems the series is pretty new. I did some price research and in India, these are seemingly the best in the price range I can afford. I need help to decide between them. I am trying to audition them, but they are not available in stores near me, so it will take some time.

Pair of fronts would cost:
Polk RTi A9 - $1600
Klipsch RF82 - $1350
JBL L890 - $1600

May be better, but out of budget:

Polk LSi 15 - $2k - above my budget of $1.5k. Moreover matching center/ sub/ surrounds are expensive as well - not sure what I can mix/ match with them.

Klipsch RF83 - Can't afford. $3500

I will use for both HT and music. HT may take up most of the time on these speakers, but when I put music on them it should sound good.
Room is 20ft wide x 30ft deep - but seating would be 10-15ft from the 20ft wide wall - effectively 20ft x 15ft. Rest of the room is used for other activities.
I will expand it into a full 5.1/ 7.1 system over several months, as my pocket and wife would allow :-)

regards
29" LG Flatron CRT.
Current Room - 12' wide, seating at 8' from front wall.
Front wall mounts at 8' apart and 5' high.
Center is in the center – 3' high, below the TV, and horizontal.
Surrounds are 12' apart wall mounted, and facing the seating at ear level.
anm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #2

Default Re: Polk RTi A9 vs Klipsch RF82 vs JBL 890

anm,

Speakers likely affect the sound of a system more than any other component, and reviews are only what we the reviewers hear and perceive.

The only person who can decide which speaker is best for you and your tastes is you, so do try to listen to the speakers you want, and buy the one that sounds best to you, after all , you will be the one living with them in the end.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #3
anm

Thanks Kenny. I agree with what you said.
However, I would rate my own ears as very untrained to find the difference in a demo. And they aren't going to remain that way for long - so I would like to go for something that I don't like later. I think I can trust the users here (and reviewers too) to a good extent.

Can we compare in terms of technology, power, range of sound they produce, number of drivers (is having more drivers better) etc? Is the speaker technology evolving like it does for avrs etc? Klipsch has very high efficiency - would that be better?

regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
anm,

Speakers likely affect the sound of a system more than any other component, and reviews are only what we the reviewers hear and perceive.

The only person who can decide which speaker is best for you and your tastes is you, so do try to listen to the speakers you want, and buy the one that sounds best to you, after all , you will be the one living with them in the end.
29" LG Flatron CRT.
Current Room - 12' wide, seating at 8' from front wall.
Front wall mounts at 8' apart and 5' high.
Center is in the center – 3' high, below the TV, and horizontal.
Surrounds are 12' apart wall mounted, and facing the seating at ear level.
anm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008   #4

Can we compare in terms of technology;

While technology does affect a manufacturers ability to accomplish their goals, the speaker still needs to sound good to you.

power,

Speakers, for the most part aren't powered, Def Tech does add powered subs to enhance bass and it works well for them.

range of sound they produce,

Not sure what you mean here, if it is 'type' or timber of sound, then that is up to the individual designers, and also why you must decide what you like in a speakers sound. Certainly some speakers can be more dynamic than others, again, comes down to designers and your tastes.

number of drivers (is having more drivers better) etc?

This one is easy,NO, it all depends on how they are made/implemented. I have heard five ways sound like crap and two ways go down to 18Hz....

Is the speaker technology evolving like it does for avrs etc?

No, speakers, as all audio gear is constantly evolving, but the technology is, in my opinion, far closer to a plateau than AVR's, which have been slammed with changes. I consider speakers and amplifiers to be the most stable part of a system. I have had ten and fifteen year old amps that sounded great and would do me just fine in my HT, and I still own a pair of speakers I bought in 19846 after my freshman year in college that are awesome, but I have sold receivers that were a year and a half old as they were dated.

Klipsch has very high efficiency - would that be better? Efficiency translates into a higher sonic output with lower power (they play louder) so again it depends on your taste. I haven't owned Klipsch in so long I can't really comment on their new speakers, but in my time with them, they were always pretty edgy up top, and that is not to my taste so I got out of them and haven't even gone back.

Hope that helps.

I hate to be a broken record, but go out and try to listen to everything you can with material you are familiar with ands see what sounds best to you, this is the ultimate test.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008   #5

Yes,

Listen to everything with your own material, enjoy the experience, make a discussion.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2008   #6

I'm also looking at Polk RTi series (A3 bookshelves though) Seem to get great reviews for HT and music, but I haven't had a chance to listen to them yet. Let us know if you get a chance to compare those 3 you mentioned. Keep in mind that LSis are 4ohm you may need to upgrade amp as well, pretty big price hit since RTis are so well regarded.
bjbadger is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
15, 82, 890, a9, jbl, jbl890, klipsch, lsi, polk, review, rf, rf82, rti, speakers, vs