Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 06-10-2008   #13

Default Re: B&W 800D vs Defintive 7000SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenonDefinitive View Post
Well, Andrew Robinson & Daryl Wilkinson (Home Theater Magazine) both said in their separate independent reviews that the BP7000SCs sound like they cost FOUR times their price, which would put them around $22,000.

So I'm just wondering how they would compare the BP7000SCs with the 800Ds, which are around $23,000. Just out of curiosity.
Yes, I did say the DefTech's sound (don't remember saying 4 times but if I did I did) better than their price would have you believe. This is a common association with DefTech not because reviewers are lazy but because DefTech makes one hell of a loudspeaker. For the audiophile or HT enthusiast on a budget they are my go to pick above all others. That being said I know plenty of people with cost no object lifestyles that choose DefTech over other marquee brands because they (DefTech's) are that good. I really don't like it when folks attribute a dollar amount with quality or performance. I've had plenty of high ticket items in my home that sound like utter crap. As well as various low rent products that kick the tar out of higher priced items. Personally, I love when a lower priced product out performs the competition for it means that more people are going to be able to share in the experience of owning and enjoying quality audio and/or video playback. Are DefTech's for everyone? No. If you want 800D's then get them, for they are very capable speakers and a personal fav of mine as well. However, like Ken, for my money DefTech makes a fantastic speaker. Bottom line is what ever fits your tastes and your wallet is going to be the best speaker for you despite what reviewers like myself say and that's the way it should be.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2008   #14

Thank you, Andrew!

I recently auditioned the B&W 800D. They sounded very good, but in my honest opinion, they did not sound any better than the DefTech BP7000SC or Paradigm S8. When I posted my impression on another forum, most people thought I was crazy.

Two other members, one of them owned B&W speakers, also were not impressed with the B&W. I just thought that I would be totally blown away when listening to the 800D, but I was not. I guess I expected too much.

Last edited by DenonDefinitive; 06-11-2008 at 05:28 PM..
DenonDefinitive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #15

the B&W 800D are wonderfull speakers, you just need to get the right amount of power they need,cause if you want to hear them sing use at least 2 pairs of classe cam 400 or krell 650 monos,or cello performance amps...
i did some great experiences at my store always with fantastic results in terms of great dinamics,bass control,deep sounstage and very tri dimensional,and they play very very loud without compression in the midrange.
raoc801 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008   #16

I agree with raoc801,

B&W are total power pigs and really need huge amps to make them sing, even the smaller models like the 805's need massive amps to sing.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
7000, 800, 800d, audio, bw, cam400, classe, definitive, mag, price, revel, revolution, sc, tech, video