Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 06-21-2007   #1

Default Breaking in New Speakers

Any "rules of Thumb" for breaking in speakers/Do's & don'ts?
larrymalc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #2

Default Re: Breaking in New Speakers

When I bought my new speakers, I was told to definately NOT to turn them up very loud for a while....at least until you've gotten your speakers properly broken in. It was suggested that I leave the speakers on during the day on a "mild" radio station for a couple of days. This allows the speakers themselves to get properly seated. Breaking in speakers is alot like breaking in an engine on a new car. You must vary the speed of the engine and not always drive 55 on the highway.
sbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #3

Best rule of thumb for breaking in speakers is to just to let them play for some 150/200 hours with whatever you want to throw at them - any time before this will only leave you disappointed and also leave you wondering whether yr new speakers are not sounding as good as yr previous ones and whether you have not made a mistake in buying them in the first place !
( sound familiar to anyone ?)
After this period and exercising extreme patience whilst this is happening , they will eventually give you what you what you expected from them .

I might add that this rule of thumb generally applies to all your equipment , whether electronics , speakers or cables .
sofer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #4

My rule of thumb for all new equipment is full tilt right out of the box! Manufactor warranties vary as to how long for parts and labor, some as short as
90 days. Any quality product should have been bench tested at the factory. If a
piece of gear is going to fail I want it to do so up front, under warranty and not
when a customer has a group of friends over to show off their new stuff! When I
hand the customer the remote the speakers have all ready proven their db levels!
kdaudio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2007   #5

All equipment needs to be broken in. Buy a CD that has a track that sends out pink noise that varies over the entire audible spectrum. (The sound from a radio or music disc will not uniformly break in the equipment over the entire audible spectrum.) Play the track on repeat for as many hours as may be necessary. For the sake of the equipment, I've seen it suggested that the process be stopped periodically to allow the equipment to rest.

For the sake of your sanity, place your speakers facing each other and a few inches apart. Reverse the black (white) and red leads on ONE SPEAKER so that the speakers are wired out-of-phase with one another. Since the pink noise track is sending the same signal to both speakers at the same time, the signals coming from the out-of-phase speakers will (largely) cancel one another. You will still hear some sound if you are in the same room, but it be a heck of a lot lower in volume than if you were playing the track with the two speaker wired properly (in-phase).

When breaking in equipment other than speakers, some people substitute a resistor for the speakers. That way, there is no audible sound. I don't know the particulars of exactly how to do this.
bkheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2007   #6

When I worked for Cello (Mark Levinson) back in the early 1990's - we wouldn't even play a pair of speakers that hadn't been broken in.

I can't give an engineering answer but I can tell you that the drivers sound better when they have a few hundred hours on them. Perhaps they get into the specs they were deigned to produce.

I also NEVER evaluate electronics cold. When doing the Krell Evolution review http://avrev.com/equip/krell_evolution_system/ I ran the suckers for quite a while before really listening. I wil admit that breaking in electronics is a bit more black magic than speakers but I can hear the difference and that is all I care about.
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, break, breaking, car, cds, equipment, good, louder, phase, properly, show, sound, speaker, speakers, stereo, track