Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 05-12-2008   #7

Default Re: Martin Logan CLX finally arriving!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
It's more than that. These speakers aren't designed to go below 56HZ. So it's a $20K speaker that HAS to have a subwoofer bought for it. Then you got to mate the combination. If you go with the sub ML suggests you're talking about spending $23.5K.

I'd known for awhile they wouldn't go below 56HZ. I'm just shocked by the price is all. The CLS it replaces wasn't nearly as expensive compared to the other speakers in their line up.
Well, if you do decide to get them, you might as well go ahead and get the CLX 25th Anniversary Edition for only $24,995 per pair. What's another $5k if you are already spending $20k? They would probably look better with your 20' screen anyway.

BTW, IMHO, for $20k+ the panels should be bigger and not require a traditional sub for bass .
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlpiii View Post
Well, if you do decide to get them, you might as well go ahead and get the CLX 25th Anniversary Edition for only $24,995 per pair. What's another $5k if you are already spending $20k? They would probably look better with your 20' screen anyway.

BTW, IMHO, for $20k+ the panels should be bigger and not require a traditional sub for bass .
What do you get for that extra $5K? Besides it saying 25th anniversary and being made with special metal? Does it come with a plaque that says "I'm a dumbass for spending $5k more for a name?"

IF I were to buy these they'd go in the Stereo setup not the HT. The HT has imho the best surround sound I've heard in any house.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2008   #9

Quote:
These speakers aren't designed to go below 56HZ.
You sound surprised by this, the original CLS's didn't go low either, it's very difficult to get an electrostatic speaker to go low, so I am not surprised at this. I think you are likely better off with a conventional or even a horn driver for low end bass. I want to hear these, and hopefully will soon....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
You sound surprised by this, the original CLS's didn't go low either, it's very difficult to get an electrostatic speaker to go low, so I am not surprised at this. I think you are likely better off with a conventional or even a horn driver for low end bass. I want to hear these, and hopefully will soon....
That is something, I was not quite familiar with, then tell me, why the high price? As you stated, he can go with something else, like a Revel Salon, or..................
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #11

Quote:
They were hinted to us 2 years ago, and the CLX setting on subs has been going on for a year now (but subs at shows for almost 2). The speakers were "officially," announced because they start shipping in a few weeks.

Still $20,000 for speakers I was expecting to be around $7k to $8k is a shocking surprise. ML had hinted to me for over a year that they had a new top of the line speaker that would replace the Summits and would cost $20k. I just didn't think it would be the CLX.
sholden125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008   #12

I am looking at some new Summits for 7k--is that the way to go for a big room (40x25x14). I will use it for music and part of a surround sound. Is it not money well spent?
sholden125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
25th, anniversary, cls, clx, electrostats, logan, martin, martinlogan, price, prices, retail, reviews, speaker, speakers, texas