Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   New Aperion Audio speakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/1794-new-aperion-audio-speakers.html)

belizebound 04-01-2008 04:28 PM

New Aperion Audio speakers

Anybody out there audition the new Aperion Audio speakers yet?

DMD123 06-04-2008 04:10 PM

Re: New Aperion Audio speakers

I just ordered the 6T and 6C. The towers are on back order but the center came out within a few days. This is my first experience with Aperion so all I had to go by was the various reviews. So far I have to say I am very impressed with the cabinet quality and finish.

The sound out of the box was bad, listen to what everyone says and break them in. After an hour they sounded better. I still want to run it for at least 8hrs before I listen more (20 is the recommended place to start before listening).

But the sound coming out is growing on me. It is smooth yet revealing. The center has a wonderful clarity and just sounds right. Voices sound like they should and it throws the sound out very evenly at all the listening positions.

Thats where I'm at for now. Looking forward to my 6T's later this month.

kennyt 06-04-2008 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMD123 (Post 15345)
The sound out of the box was bad, listen to what everyone says and break them in. After an hour they sounded better. I still want to run it for at least 8hrs before I listen more (20 is the recommended place to start before listening).

20 hours is the recommended break in???

Seems short to me, but each speaker is different, I've had speakers not come around for ~200 hours, and have heard some (Talon I believe but can't recall for sure) can take 500 hours.

Generally I allow everything I review to run for at least 50 hours before doing any critical listening, unless the manufacturer has burned them in for me (yes, many do that for us so we don't form bad first impressions!)

DMD123 06-05-2008 10:22 AM

20hrs is the STARTING point. They definitely need more! I have about 14hrs on them now and they are smoother but some things can be quite biting. Granted all I have is the center going. We will see what happens as this breaks in some more.

What I'm hearing now really has me debating what I want to do. It sounds as if it will mellow out some more with time. But with the new price points being much higher than the previous models, these are not as competitively priced as they used to be. I also had a recent listen to Revel Concerta's F12 towers, and was quite impressed. These are in a very similar price and not as bright sounding. The dealer will give me the same 30 day in home listen as Aperion and refund the full amount if I don't want them. This is a tempting offer.

My 30 day listen is to begin when all items arrive, so later in the month when to towers come in I can do some more serious listening and I will post my thoughts. But knowing me I'm in that 2% of people who send them back.

kennyt 06-05-2008 04:40 PM

Take advantage of the in home trial whenever possible, and run your speakers often and frequently when burning them in, I usually leave the system on when I go to work to increase time, or when out of town even for a few days, and try to vary the volume, sometimes I leave it low, some times I open it up, and sometimes, well, maybe I shouldn't admit some of the volumes my speakers have seen in the break in period....

Revels are really nice, I used to own the F52's, many of us here @ AVRev are very partial to Revel....

DMD123 07-01-2008 04:02 PM

They say only about 2% return the Aperion speakers. I'm part of that group. The customer service was outstanding, the build quality was impeccable. I would not hesitate to recommend them to anyone.

The problem was that it was not the sound I was looking for. These speakers sounded awesome for music with a nice sense of depth and width to the music. To achieve this I felt that the mids were a little recessed. I like them a little more forward, like my JBL Studio S412PII's but just a little less bright.

I had just listened to the Revel F12 towers and the C12 center and felt this was more in line with the sound I was looking for, so I just bought these instead.

Sound is very subjective, each person needs to determine what will work for his needs. But I can say give a listen to the Aperion's because you really have nothing to lose. They may appeal to your taste.