Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-12-2008   #7

Default Re: $2500 for L/R/C speakers, what do I audition?

What about the monitor series?
I'm seeing great reviews on them also.

The Monitor 11 floor standers are like $1000 a pair & the Monitor cc-390 center channel is $700.

What is the extra $$$ for the studio series going to get me?
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008   #8

Most will tell you that the 'monitor' lable is of higher procduction quality than say just the standard or cinema series. Then steps up again in the 'Refrence' series and so on.
http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/tech_faq/
this is actually a useful link for you to brouse.
I've used monitors from many different brands, but for movies...there is no substitute for a floor standing full range speaker! None! I plan to eventually have the same BP 7004s all around......some day.
I think those monitors would be an outstanding addition. And seeing that the center you picked has the basic same driver complement, you really cant go wrong.
Be forewarned though, you wont want to leave the house for awhile, so make sure its stocked!
idahophil63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by idahophil63 View Post
Most will tell you that the 'monitor' lable is of higher procduction quality than say just the standard or cinema series. Then steps up again in the 'Refrence' series and so on.
http://www.paradigm.com/en/paradigm/tech_faq/
this is actually a useful link for you to brouse.
I've used monitors from many different brands, but for movies...there is no substitute for a floor standing full range speaker! None! I plan to eventually have the same BP 7004s all around......some day.
I think those monitors would be an outstanding addition. And seeing that the center you picked has the basic same driver complement, you really cant go wrong.
Be forewarned though, you wont want to leave the house for awhile, so make sure its stocked!
I guess the monitor series is the replacements for the performance series.
My current speakers are performance series & I don't see them listed anywhere on Paradigms web site but the Atoms & Minis are listed under Monitor series.
Old 03-13-2008   #10

Location: The corner of the world where NC, TN and VA intersect at an elevation of 3,500'
Default Stay With What You Like [Was: Re: $2500 for L/R/C speakers, what do I audition?]

Moose,

It is my observation that most good speaker manufacturers (and Paradigm is a good one) generally "voice" their speakers to have a similar sound throughout their entire range, and the really good manufacturers (again, like Paradigm) generally don't stray too far from the "voicing" that made their speakers successful in the marketplace, even when they introduce new and improved models.

What I'm taking entirely too many words to say is, "Keep dancin' with the one you brung to the party!"

If you like the Paradigm sound, my advice would be to stay with it. There is no perfect speaker so every manufacturer has to make some sonic compromises somewhere and these compromises generally result in a "house sound," or "voicing" of the manufacturer's speakers.

Other manufacturers are always beckoning you like the beautiful sirens from Greek mythology, but many, many audiophiles find the grass is not greener on the other side and they end up spending large sums of money in the endless pursuit of a perfection that is unobtainable.

Paradigm, IMHO, is one of the good, consistent companies in the marketplace who year in and year out manufacture very good speakers for reasonable money, not "crazy" money. And there are other speaker companies who do they same, and their speakers all sound a little bit different from each other and you could spend years, and thousands of $$$ trying them all out.

But why bother? If it were me, and I liked what I've been listening to for a long time, I'd look no further than newer models from the same manufacturer as I believe they will have a sound more similar to that which you already like than a new speaker from a company whose products you have never owned.

My advice? Stick with the company you like and resist the temptation of those "sirens" out there trying to seduce your ears.
"The West won the world not by the superiority of its ideas or values or religion but rather by its superiority in applying organized violence. Westerners often forget this fact, non-Westerners never do."
---------------
Samuel P. Huntington
Vinyl Rules! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009   #11

Cool Re: $2500 for L/R/C speakers, what do I audition?

I've listened to a lot of speakers in the last year & a half but I bought the Paradigm Studio 60 L&R & the Studio CC590 center channel.
The Mini MkII's were wore out, I sent them in to be rebuilt & they will go to the rear surrounds & I picked up a pair of Paradigm Mini monitors for the side surrounds until I get the dedicated theater built & then I'll get the Paradigm Studio ADP 590 surrounds.

The Studio series speakers mated with the Denon 3808ci really sounds amazing even in my living room, a HUGE difference over my old performer series bookshelf speakers.

I listened to speakers in a wide range of prices & when your talking "bang for the buck" you just can't beat Paradigm!
Old 08-07-2009   #12

I too am a Paradigm owner and fan but you must do yourself a favor and check out the Outlaw Audio LCR speakers. They will blow you away...
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
40, 590, bright, cc200, halo, lcr, mixing, mythos, paradigm, soft, sound, sounding, speaker, speakers, studio, wrong