Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-04-2008   #13

Default Re: Which Speakers?

Ok the room is completly gutted down to the studs and concret, it only took about 5 hours to move the furniture out and tear everything out and haul it to the dump.

So now I have a few easy questions:

1. Side Speaker placement; 1.) Directly in between the first and second row of seating or 2.) Directly across from one of the row or 3.) Just behind the on of the rows.

2. Rear Surround 1.) Centered on back wall side by side or 2.) Pushed to each corner.

3. There has been discussion about recessing the front speakers and the sub inside a framed cabinet from the contractor for astetics, understanding the brand and model of speaker I go with could matter, but in general is this going to have a noticable impact on the speaker performance?

Right now I am really leaning towards the def tech mythos but based on some reviews really want to go and check the paradigms as well.

And last if someone has time to fill me in if the speakers are only for movies should I be considering the omnidirectional models such as the mirage omd over the directional such as the mythos and if so why? Sorry if the questions are basic but as always any direction and advice is very appreciated.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008   #14

FilmFan,

Aperion audio has a quick guide here;

http://www.aperionaudio.com/AperionU/multichannel.aspx

that will help you get going. I personally prefer a MC Audio set up with the surrounds back 100-100 degrees and at ear level, some might not agree, but this is what works for me.

Now, as for #3, YES and the difference can be HUGE depending on the speaker. If you want it to look really discrete, have you considered going with in walls? Many companies are producing very high quality in walls now a days that are specifically designed for this so they don't need the room to breath many normal speakers do to sound best.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #15

So here is the update, as of today the framing is complete, the wiring is complete, everything is either on order or arrived except the seating, I still have to travel some more to test sit in various chairs.

Tommorrow the soundproofing material and insulation is being installed, and on Friday the drywallers come in and start, they should finish Monday or Tuesday mourning.

So I decided on the Mythos series, with the ST L/R and tens all around with 1 supercube 1 in the rear.

I want to thank everyone who helped me with advice it all went to good use.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008   #16

I think you'll be very happy with the Def Tech's! Congrats on the new room!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bowerswilkins, def, good, loud, mirage, mythos, omd, omd15, pioneer, revel, sound, speakers, st, tech, vsx84