Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-03-2008   #7

Default Re: Which Speakers?

Ken,

My budget is under $10K for the speaker system. The screen is going on the short wall, so I can have 2 rows of seating, but just barely.

That is one reason I like the Mythos besides the great sound, the powered sub was very good I thought, not seperate unit good but would add to the overall color of the sound on whole. I really like the deftech trinity but feel that it may be too much for my size room so I am leaning towards the supercube I, if I go with Deftech.
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmfan View Post
I really like the deftech trinity but feel that it may be too much for my size room so I am leaning towards the supercube I, if I go with Deftech.
FWIW each Mythos ST basically has the Super Cube 1 subwoofer in it (similar output).

You think the Trinity might be too much for your room? why? It was only designed to fill a flippin' church! that thing is a monster as well, like 30" tall and 18 square!

You can easily get away without a sub with the Def Tech's, as I did them in my review, but it will depend on your pre/pro or receiver. For me, I am currently using them with a Paradigm Servo 15v2 sub as that thing just ROCKS for movies!

The adjustment of the sub on the ST's also allows for very easy room placement, you can trim in the sub to account for varying distances from the rear wall so if you need the space, you could put them pretty close to the rear (screen) wall and raise the sub output to compensate.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
FWIW each Mythos ST basically has the Super Cube 1 subwoofer in it (similar output).

You think the Trinity might be too much for your room? why? It was only designed to fill a flippin' church! that thing is a monster as well, like 30" tall and 18 square!

You can easily get away without a sub with the Def Tech's, as I did them in my review, but it will depend on your pre/pro or receiver. For me, I am currently using them with a Paradigm Servo 15v2 sub as that thing just ROCKS for movies!

The adjustment of the sub on the ST's also allows for very easy room placement, you can trim in the sub to account for varying distances from the rear wall so if you need the space, you could put them pretty close to the rear (screen) wall and raise the sub output to compensate.
I love the Servo 15 (haven't heard the V2)! I kick myself evey time I see someone with one. I could have bought one for cost when I lived in Virginia but I had 2 custom subs made - don't get me wrong, my customs has usable bass output at about 18hz but the Servo is just awesome! I liked it so much that I did buy the X-30 crossover at cost (I worked for a Paradigm dealer part-time - I loved that job )
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10

The def tech system was 2 ST, 5 mythos 10's and 1 supercube (at the rear of the room) the price was in the upper mid 8K range, is that a good price, he offered 6% discount if I buy the whole system at once, and he still have offered me any return options. I plan on going to Denver in the next couple of weeks to audition more speakers before settling on a system but from what I read and have heard the mythos series seems to be top notch for my budget level.

What is the word on the forhcoming STS? I have read that it is the same as the ST with less volume?
filmfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #11

Quote:
RLPIII,

I would even consider the project if there were load bearing beams or colums. I have built and remodeled enough stores and homes to know a good deal about these things.

I like the idea of a THX type setup but just don't know how to add the second sub, I would imagine that you need some amp or convertor system to get around the single out sub, I need to look at my amp it is THX ultra 2 certified so maybe it is already set up for this, as I said I am not a pro at this stuff, but really enjoy learning and trying things like this for the experience and of doing it and the end experience of watching great and even not great movies in a cool comfortable room.

Thanks for your input.
I am glad you don't have to contend with the load bearing beams/columns. Hopefully your ceilings are not too low either, but that's much easier to work with.

You will need to get a Y-adapter to use multiple subs which is really no problem.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #12

Quote:
What is the word on the forhcoming STS? I have read that it is the same as the ST with less volume?
That is exactly what I understand too, I heard these @ CES and have been using the ST's at home, they both sound very similar (take into account they were in different rooms with different gear...) and cost ~$500 each less, so you could do multiple sets of STS's and the 10 center and still do a sub for your price point...
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bowerswilkins, def, good, loud, mirage, mythos, omd, omd15, pioneer, revel, sound, speakers, st, tech, vsx84