Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   The Martin Logan Purity Review (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/1655-martin-logan-purity-review.html)

Lotus 03-02-2008 08:30 PM

The Martin Logan Purity Review

http://www.avrev.com/equip/martinlogan_purity_speaker/

The only thing I could have asked more of in this review was how they sounded for movies. It's really interesting to read about the iPod performance of these speakers.

kennyt 03-03-2008 04:34 AM

Re: The Martin Logan Purity Review

Andrew sort of iPodded out his month! I remember when he got those speakers, it was like a light went of and he just said I've got the coolest iPod speakers in the world!

Lotus 03-03-2008 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 12401)
Andrew sort of iPodded out his month! I remember when he got those speakers, it was like a light went of and he just said I've got the coolest iPod speakers in the world!

I think iPodness of the speakers dominated the review. These are the first fully powered Martin Logans and I'd really have liked to know how they handle explosions, etc. in film. I fully understand the "coolness," of the iPod Speakers but they are much more than that.

The Purity are the exact same speaker as the Source from ML but fully powered with no need for an amp. I'd really like to know if the cost difference between the two suggests that the Purity are a steal with their amplification.

Maybe Andrew has an opinion on that...

deacongreg 03-03-2008 01:02 PM

I just read the article. Andrew`s reviews, are always thorough, and insightful. And I believe that is what we have here. Andrew did try the Martins with the Hovland tube amp, and those sweet Bel Canto`s. I think what blew his mind, was that there was not a considerable drop in sound quality when using the built in power amp of the Logans, So Andrew pressed further.

Knowing the current marketplace, and where we seem to be inevitably going, he continued the review with that setup. You know, I know I`m not ready for this i-pod, server computerized marriage into audio and video either. Definitely I`m not in any hurry. However, if indeed this is what does happen, (Can you imagine the i-pod being the chosen source for everyone to use?? Boggles the mind, doesn`t it??!!) its good to know that companies like Martin Logan will have products available to continue the high quality of listening that we have all come to expect from the high end industry.

Great review, Drew.

Lotus 03-03-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deacongreg (Post 12440)
I just read the article. Andrew`s reviews, are always thorough, and insightful. And I believe that is what we have here. Andrew did try the Martins with the Hovland tube amp, and those sweet Bel Canto`s. I think what blew his mind, was that there was not a considerable drop in sound quality when using the built in power amp of the Logans, So Andrew pressed further.

Knowing the current marketplace, and where we seem to be inevitably going, he continued the review with that setup. You know, I know I`m not ready for this i-pod, server computerized marriage into audio and video either. Definitely I`m not in any hurry. However, if indeed this is what does happen, (Can you imagine the i-pod being the chosen source for everyone to use?? Boggles the mind, doesn`t it??!!) its good to know that companies like Martin Logan will have products available to continue the high quality of listening that we have all come to expect from the high end industry.

Great review, Drew.

Don't get me wrong I like the review. It just lacked on how it sounded for movies. I think Andrew was confined to space limitations. The iPodness of the speakers stole the review (and rightfully so).

kennyt 03-03-2008 01:28 PM

Sort of tough to give an accurate assessment of movie performance with only two channels though.