Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-03-2008   #7

Smile Re: The Martin Logan Purity Review

Yeah, that is definitely true kenny. Your right about that. I just think Andrew was like, wow, they sound pretty good just with the i-pod. But, that is just me. That is what I thought he was saying.
But, only Andrew knows................................... .............

BTW, how are you? System still rocking? Still testing your decibel levels!!!!!!!!!!!!
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #8

Smile Re: The Martin Logan Purity Review

Sorry kenny, I meant to say this to you, a sad day in the music world today. Buddy Miles died with his wife, holding his hand. Those of us will remember, The Band of Gypsys he helped form with Jimi Hendrix and Billy Cox, Down by the River, of course, Them Changes, and one of my all time favorites, "We Got To Live Together."
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #9

Default Re: The Martin Logan Purity Review

Greetings everyone,

In regards to my Purity review, I stuck with the iPod for two reasons. First, I was completely blown away by the sound quality I acheived from such a modest setup and second while adding more costly components to the chain did improve sound quality I was hard pressed to justify the need for the enjoyment of the music remained the same. Plus, I feel many ML reviews approach the task at hand as if everyone has a reviewers' system, yet many readers do not have high ticket items like Krell amplification and Hovland pre-amps, yet many seem to have and can afford an iPod. I made the choices I did willingly and deliberately for I felt it would result in the "freshest" review. I always look for an angle that would set my writing apart from the rest. No doubt other mags may give you the full audiophile treatment and do comparisons to other speakers and such but how helpful is that really. Who buys more than one pair of speakers to do their own shootout before returning a pair? No one in my experience does this. However, many ask me to recommend speakers that sound great, look good and require little to know associated gear. Up until now that speaker system did not exist. The Purity's fit that bill and I wanted to discuss them for what makes them truly unique versus writing just another ML review.

As for movies, it is AVRev.com policy (though we do break it from time to time) that two-channel reviews do not have to include television or movie material. I can say that the Purity's excel at both and would not hesitate in the slightest to recommend them as stereo mains in a surround sound setup. Hell, get four of 'em and ML's entry level center and you'll have one hell of a surround sound setup. One that will rival even ML's costlier models from a few years ago. Think Accents, Odysseys etc. They will not outperform the Summits however, for under 3 grand they are absolutely AMAZING!!

I thank you all for reading the review and I hope this answers some of your questions.

Managing Editor
www.avrev.com
www.avrevforum.com
www.modernhometheater.com
www.aprilshowersmovie.com
Robinson_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008   #10

Sorry to hear about Buddy Miles.... I might need to blow out some BOG ASAP!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008   #11

Hello all, hoping for some advice or an opionion. I've decided to purchase the ML Purity speaker set as my first set of audiophile-ish speakers. My primary reasons for this are:

-relative low cost due to integrated amplifier (all i need is a preamp, less wire to buy, etc)
-good reviews and well-known brand
-my wife says they are good looking enough to go in our living room (which also happens to be the best listening room in the house)

My question is this: what is a good lower-cost preamp to pair with these speakers? I have the following requirements:

-level control (of course, preferably with remote)
-phono preamp (for my Thorens turntable with new Grado Prestige Gold cartridge)
-D/A convertor with optical or coax input (for use with a computer)
-standard line input (for future use)

Basically, I've ripped my entire CD collection using a lossless codec to play straight from the computer. I have a record collection I want to play on the turntable which I've been upgrading.

Obviously, I'm looking for bang-for-the-buck. I'd be willing to drop the D/A convertor requirement and instead purchase a more high-quality sound card, but I dont like the idea of a RF-noisy comptuer having a non-isolated connection to an analog preamp.

Well, any ideas?? I may try posting this on a more general thread but thought I would start here.

thanks - djm
ctwonj30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
bel, canto, dynamo, ipod, logan, martin, martinlogan, ml, price, purity, review, reviews, source, speaker, thread