Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   Definitive Technology Releases STS Powered SuperTower Speakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/1484-definitive-technology-releases-sts-powered-supertower-speakers.html)

AVRevForum.com 01-22-2008 06:21 PM

Definitive Technology Releases STS Powered SuperTower Speakers

Following up the critically lauded Mythos ST introduced in 2007, Definitive has developed the Mythos STS, a smaller, lower priced Mythos floor-standing loudspeaker boasting an integrated SuperCube® powered subwoofer for best-in-class sound quality and stunning design combined with ultimate floor space efficiency.

Like the rest of the award-winning Mythos Series, the STS boasts slim, space efficient modern design that perfectly complements contemporary living and media rooms and
today’s sleek video monitors. Its sleek and sexy polished black or silver aluminum monocoque cabinet is mounted on a beautiful solid granite base and incorporates
Definitive’s most advanced components and technologies to deliver sonic performance which is truly in a class by itself. The trend-setting Mythos concept of exceptional form and function has been further dramatically advanced by building SuperCube subwoofers into the Mythos STSs’ sleek aluminum cabinets.

“Consumers today are more fashion and decorating conscious than ever and are looking
for no-compromise performance from speakers that are both beautiful and space efficient” said Sandy Gross, co-founder and President Emeritus of Definitive Technology. “By combining a high definition monitor and powered subwoofer into one highly styled enclosure that takes up barely one square foot of floor space, the Mythos STS eliminates the need for a space-hogging separate subwoofer yet delivers stunning performance, beauty and convenience.”

Each Mythos STS contains a D’Appolito array consisting of two high-definition Definitive Balanced Dual Surround System (BDSS) 4-1/2 inch drivers (patent pending) surrounding a 1-inch pure aluminum dome tweeter. The subwoofer is built around a racetrack-shaped carbon fiber driver pressure-coupled to two racetrack-shaped planar low-bass radiators. The subwoofer driver array is powered by a built-in 300-watt digital amplifier.

Compared to the Mythos ST that The Absolute Sound magazine referred to as “phenomenal...destined to become a performance benchmark,” the smaller STS (47-1/2"
vs. 52" high) sounds almost identical to its larger sibling but with slightly lower ultimate volume output and dynamic range. The Mythos STS will be available in February 2008 in both polished black and silver. In 2008 the original Mythos ST’s MSRP rises slightly to $1999 each while the STS’s MSRP is $1499 each.

kennyt 01-23-2008 07:12 PM

Re: Definitive Technology Releases STS Powered SuperTower Speakers

I got to hear these and they are really close to the ST's sonically. I didn't get to rock them out so I am not sure of the max SPL level they can output but for 75% the price of the ST's, they might even be better values especially for those with smaller rooms and/or lower volume wants/needs.

deacongreg 01-23-2008 08:54 PM

kenny, you are probably right. imagine in a complete Definitive speaker only 5.1 system!!

kennyt 01-24-2008 02:39 AM

That's what I am rocking to now and yes, they are awesome! I do get into trouble as the wife sometimes doesn't like the volume they play at (or that I sometimes play them at!)

deacongreg 01-24-2008 11:26 AM

Oh, I`m sure that can be a problem. She says, turn it down,, we do, then turn it back up. Just make sure when your finished with them, you send them to me!!!

kennyt 01-24-2008 02:55 PM

Well, I was listening to NIN Piggy in my car on the way home last night and when she got home it was on SACD and well into the 100+ dB range..... There is nothing subtle about NIN's at that volume!