Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   Definitive Technology Mythos ST (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/1480-definitive-technology-mythos-st.html)

jimmydaves 01-21-2008 10:33 PM

Definitive Technology Mythos ST

Hey everyone:

I've read nothing but raves about the Mythos ST and Mythos Ten Center Channel speaker, here at Avrev and every other publication.

I've auditioned the Mythos ST's with the Mythos Ten and thought they were very, very good speakers. There really wasn't any weaknesses that I could zero in on and the bass and dynamics seemed effortless. I auditioned these without the sub because I wanted to see how much bass they could pump out.

My use for speakers is going to be about 90% home theater and the Paradigm Studio Reference (100's, CC690, ADP590) speakers were going to be my original choice, but after reading the reviews and auditioning the Mythos ST I've "hit the wall" and cannot seem to make a decision now.

The review here on Avrev pretty much confirmed my impressions of the Paradigm Studio Reference. The review on the Definitive Technology Mythos ST speakers created a lot more excitement. I'd love to have the Mythos ST's as both mains and surrounds as the reviewer did in his review and since the reviews of the Def Tech's and Paradigm speakers were done by the same reviewer, I'd love to pick his brain about these two systems.

I don't see how anyone could go wrong with the Paradigm setup. For me, I feel that the center speaker is a deal breaker when it comes to home theater systems. It's quite a chore and tedious to watch a movie and not have clear dialogue. I've listened to so many "high end" speakers only to find out the center channel speakers fell short and were a disappointment. I felt that the Paradigm CC690 was probably one the ultimate center channel speakers arround which was making my decision towards a Paradigm HT easy. The Mythos Ten was good as a center as well and mated very well with the ST's.

The review on the Paradigms was very good here on Avrev and I didn't think another speaker system could match it on the price/performance side. Then the Mythos ST review comes along and it's so good, the reviewer is keeping the speakers. I guess what I'd like to know is: Was there anything that the Paradigms did better than the Mythos ST's?

How would these two home theater systems match if the reviewer used the Def Tech Gems as surrounds instead of another pair of Mythos ST's? (After reading the review, I can't imaging owning the Mythos ST's system WITHOUT having the Mythos ST's as surrounds. It's just way too tempting to want to own that setup). I'd like to know how the Paradigm ADP590's surrounds compared to the Def Tech surround speakers and not just the Mythos ST's.

I'm looking forward to getting some good feedback and also thought it was a good time to create a thread about these amazing Def Tech Mythos ST's speakers. Thanks!

kennyt 01-22-2008 02:54 AM

Re: Definitive Technology Mythos ST

Jimmy,

No time to post now, got to get ready for work, but I'll get back to it.

KT

jimmydaves 01-22-2008 09:28 AM

Kennyt:

I look forward to your thoughts/opinions/advice. Now that I realize that you were the one who did both reviews on the Paradigm and Def Tech speakers (great reviews by the way, excellent information, detailed, great job). Jimmy

kennyt 01-22-2008 06:35 PM

Well, they are both very good speakers, I kept the Paradigms for many months before finally getting asked for their return. They are however different speakers, with many similarities.

First off the Def Tech's cost almost twice the price of the Paradigms (I removed the sub from the equation, maybe that not fair, but even with the Paradigm sub, they are $1,500 more without a separate sub.)

Designs also are very different, so aesthetics have to be considered.

FWIW I loved them both, obviously. I generally prefer direct radiators for my surrounds. I use my system more for movies than MC Audio but prefer an audio set up even for films, but not always. For some films the added air of the bipole surrounds of the ADP 590s was better than the direct radiation of the DT's, for others it was reversed, depends on what is coming through the surrounds.

For multichannel music, I prefer direct radiators.

Both mains give you true full range sound, and that is a true feat for either of them at their price point. Sonically the Paradigms are a little more forward which made them a bit more involving for movies and aggressive music, while the more laid back and mellow nature of the DT's made them my preference for more delicate audio.

As for the center, the 690 is a monster and really filled in the center with plenty of bass, a feature most people don't realize is necessary. As for other surrounds with either system, I never used them so can only comment on what I've used, but I understand the Def Tech Gems, though they don''t use the identical drivers to the ST's are voiced to match, and Paradigm has an entire line that are voiced to match with similar drivers so you could get anything from the small dipole surrounds to another pair of 100's.

Just to make it even more confusing, Def Tech just showed the baby brother to the ST's @ CES, the STS's, they are a little smaller and retail for $1,499 each. I got a brief listen to them, and they sounded just like the ST's, but I understand they don't play quite as loud (i highly doubt you'd need all the volume the ST's can produce, I backed down at 110 dB peaks 12 feet from them)

I would suggest you try to listen to both with the same material, bring some music and a movie or two you are familiar with when you go to demo them and use the same things in both demo's, try to do them as close together as possible (same day at least, same shop best) and see which one's YOU like the best and buy them.

You won't go wrong either way, they are both excellent speakers, just with some differences and only you can decide which sounds best to you and best meets your needs.

jimmydaves 01-23-2008 12:53 AM

Kennyt:

Thank you for taking the time to give me some more information in my quest to make a decision on purchasing speakers.

First of all, I'm trying to not let price be the determining factor in my decision. The Mythos ST's are almost twice the price of the Paradigms and now Def Tech has raised the price of those from $1799 to $1999. Paradigm has also increased their prices as well due to the value of the U.S. dollar.

A Paradigm dealer has given me what I consider a very good discount and after reading your review on the Studio Reference HT system, I was all ready to make that commitment and had the King Kong HD DVD on the table to play as my first movie!

Then, I read your review on the Mythos ST HT system and all the other online/printed reviews as well and was amazed that a speaker from Def Tech was getting such universal praise, even from The Absolute Sound. Your review prompted me to go audition them and I had to suddenly reconsider my original choice. But, with the Mythos ST's price increase to $2000 each and the Paradigms' at $2600 a pair, price started to become a factor which I was trying to avoid but the Paradigms seemed to offer so much and still be affordable.

Then, as I was seeking out more info on the Mythos ST's, I found a couple of dealers who would give me even more of a discount than the Paradigm dealer which then started to bring both speaker lines alot more closer together in price than I ever thought would happen.

In the past, I've owned Aerial, Revel and Atlantic Technology but not Paradigm or Def Tech. After reading your review of the Paradigm's I was ready, but then your review of the Mythos ST made me want to have the same configuration as you reviewed. Even though I like dipole surrounds, I've had direct radiating speakers in the rear and having a 2nd pair of Mythos ST's as the surrounds, would be incredible as far as "sound envelopment", tonal balance and bass. Now, I'm sure there are other ways to go about this type of sound without using a $4000 pair of speakers, but this setup is so tempting.

I've kind of been thinking lately that I could go with the Mythos ST's due to some very nice discounting. Give them a good decent try in my HT System. If for some reason I feel I may have preferred the Paradigms in the first place, I could sell the Mythos ST's and not take such a heavy hit financially.

Ultimately, for me, I feel that the center channel is the make or break component in the HT system. This speaker has to be top notch and "anchor" the home theater. I do feel that the Paradigm CC690 is one of the best center channel speakers I've ever heard. The Mythos Ten is very very good, clear, precise and a good match to the ST's.

So, right now, I'm at a standstill. I've got good pricing for both systems and I have to figure out what is the key for my decision.

You've been very helpful and I love your reviews. When I read your reviews of speakers, it makes me want to go buy them. Just curious, are the Mythos ST's now your reference or did you stay with the Ventos?

Again, thank you for your advice!

Jimmy

kennyt 01-23-2008 02:40 AM

I still have the Ventos, but the Def Tech's are currently what I'm using.

You really need to take some music and movies to your dealers and listen to both systems, as close together as possible and with the same test material, preferable something you are familiar with, and see which speaker YOU like best.

After all, you are the one who will be living with them. Yes, you CAN resell your audio gear, but it will cost you. Go listen to them both and decide in the stores which you like more. In other words, try to get it right the first time!