Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 02-23-2008   #19

Default Re: Definitive Technology Mythos ST

Kennyt:

Thanks for responding back to my questions. I was just wondering how are you liking the Mythos ST's setup after spending more time with them? If I were to go with the Mythos, it would be the same setup as you have.

I totally agree with you regarding Paradigm and Mythos as well. I felt that the Mythos had the edge musically and the Paradigms had the edge with movies. (My use would be about 90% home theater). I give the edge to Paradigm's cc690 center speaker over the Mythos Ten for the center speaker and that pretty much made me lean initially and still towards Paradigm (plus your review of the Paradigm system was a good indicator of what I was looking for)

Also, after much consideration, I don't think I would use an additional pair of Paradigm 100's as surrounds, I think it would be more feasible to have adp590's as surrounds and probably 20's as rear surrounds.

In the past couple of weeks, I've been reading more about the Paradigm Signatures v2 series with the new tweeter and other modifications over the s1 series and I have to admit I severely tempted. The Signature S8's are just so impressive looking and the C5 looks similar to the cc690 but weighs 20lbs more and also has the new tweeter.

My quandry would be between the Studios and Signatures with the Signatures being twice the price, but surely not sounding twice as good. I'm totally sure the Studio Reference home theater system you reviewed would be killer in any home (I have King Kong on HD DVD so I know a little about what you were talking about).

Of course there's always that notion that if I got the Paradigm Studio speakers, would I be wondering every time I watched a movie or listened to music "I wonder how this would sound on the Signature Speakers?" The Signatures are those kind of speakers someone could happily live with for 10 years or so and I don't think anyone would be missing out on great home theater and a great musical system.

I got a little too indecisive and when I do that, I back off until I try and figure out why and at this point, I'm still in that mode but now ready to go forward again. (lots of decisions/options tend to make me indecisive).

Congrats to both you and the reviewer here on avrev.com who reviewed the Signature S8's. It reviews like those that create enough interest and enthusiasm to make someone like me go audition these speakers and I've found so far that your reviews and comments have been right on target. It's hard when I go to audition these speakers and they all sound great! That's the problem I guess, I want them all.

Jimmy

Last edited by jimmydaves; 02-23-2008 at 01:00 PM..
jimmydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmydaves View Post
That's the problem I guess, I want them all.
I know what you mean! Now imagine how I am at every show I attend!

From what I know the Signatures are truly an amazing speaker, Andrew and I have discussed them many times, but he's got them on the west coast and I live in Florida so I haven't heard his set up yet.

Yes, they are more expensive, are you worth the price? Only you can answer that, so listen to both and let your ears decide, as YOU will be the one living with them.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #21

Hello everyone. I realize this thread is several months old.....however, I thought I'd offer my opinion.
I am the very happy owner of a Mythos surround system.....I'm using a pair of the ST with the Ten up front.....and a pair of the STS for surrounds.
(My electronics are Classe Delta Series....
The SSP-600, CA-5200 and the CDP-300, with a Pioneer PRO-FHD1 monitor).
The detail, clarity and soundstage with both music AND movies is incredible. And the bass....seamless and chest rumbling!
I don't consider my ears to be "golden", but these speakers never cease to amaze me.
I advise anyone considering them to go and audition them.
francodanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2008   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by francodanco View Post
Hello everyone. I realize this thread is several months old.....however, I thought I'd offer my opinion.
I am the very happy owner of a Mythos surround system.....I'm using a pair of the ST with the Ten up front.....and a pair of the STS for surrounds.
(My electronics are Classe Delta Series....
The SSP-600, CA-5200 and the CDP-300, with a Pioneer PRO-FHD1 monitor).
The detail, clarity and soundstage with both music AND movies is incredible. And the bass....seamless and chest rumbling!
I don't consider my ears to be "golden", but these speakers never cease to amaze me.
I advise anyone considering them to go and audition them.
I agree, that is why I bought them after I reviewed them! you'd need t spend a lot more to better them!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008   #23

Jimmy -

What system did you finally choose?

Scotty
Scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2008   #24

Kenny:

It's great that you remembered this thread since it was a good thread about different speakers, all of them very good.

I went with the Paradigm Signature 8's and the Signature C5 Center speaker along with Studio ADP590's for side surrounds.

As I may have stated before, way back in January, I was pretty much set on an all Paradigm Studio Reference home theater system with the 100's, cc690, adp590 side surrounds and s20 for rear surrounds.

I actually ended up going with that system except for the Studio 100's which I held off on and for a couple of months used the 20's as my mains just to get a "feel" for the sound quality, etc that these speakers provided. The Paradigm Studios are great speakers for the price. You cannot go wrong with purchasing those speakers.

But... I just kept remembering how beautiful sounding and looking those Signature S8's were and the more "refined" sound that I heard from them and the C5 center speaker was their sonic and visual match in every way in my opinion. So, I decided to take the plunge and upgrade from the Studio's to the Signatures. The dealer I purchased the speakers from was very fair with me and took the center speaker back as a credit towards the Signatures. I thought I would keep both the ADP590's and the 20's for surrounds, but after watching several movies, I couldn't justify the cost of using the 20's as rear surrounds. They would have been wonderful of course, but I simply was not getting enough information in the rear speakers to justify using such a high quality surround that only came into play for those rare "effects" moments. So, I decided to sell those speakers and keep the ADP590's. I felt that the sound was close enough to provide me with a fairly seemless connection between the front 3 speakers.

Of course, I could always go up to the Signature ADP's, but I don't know how much I would be gaining in sound quality or more importantly the amount of sound coming from the ADP's. So for now, I'm on hold with this decision and trying to put my focus on the front end and the sound quality since I do need to get a preamp/processor and amplification suitable for the Signatures I have up front. To me, these are the most important 3 speakers in a home theater system with the center speaker, in my opinion, being the ultimate anchor. I've spent alot of time/listening/reading reviews, etc. to find that right comination or fit that really makes these Signatures "sing" and brings out everything they are capable of without breaking my bank account.

Speaking of the C5, that would probably the the ultimate reason why I chose the Signature line over the Mythos ST home theater speakers. Yes, I listened many times to those STS speakers and I was impressed, as well as many reviewers were as well. But that Mythos Center speaker simply could not compare to the Signature C5. That was probably the ultimate determining factor. Also, as much as I liked the styling of the Mythos ST's, the Signature S8's are simply stunning to look at. They are just beautiful and they sound incredible as well. I could have been happy with either speaker line, but I am very happy with the decision I made and I got fair treatment from the dealer who sold me the Studios who helped me in my purchase of the Signatures.

My first course of business at this point is the amplifcation and preamp/processor part of the home theater (right now I'm using an Onkyo 805 receiver and the Signatures actually sound quite good). But I know I need good quality separates for these puppies and that's been a long journey so far. There are quite a few good choices. Some lean more towards the audiophile part of home theater, others lean more towards true home theater sound.

Secondly would be the decision on the rear surround speakers as well as determining whether or not the Studio ADP's can/will keep good company with the front Signatures.

I'm open to suggestions on the preamp and amplification part of my home theater and also the decision with respect to the surround speakers as well.

It was a long journey for me to keep this far. I've only had the speakers less than 2 months and I started this journey even before January, so a good 7-8 months to get this far with the speakers. I just hope it doesn't take as long to get the rest of the home theater equation solved.

Thanks again for your interest and I definitely hope this thread continues!

Thanks! Jimmy

Last edited by jimmydaves; 09-18-2008 at 11:16 PM..
jimmydaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, bp7002, def, definitive, mythos, reviews, revolution, set, speaker, st, sts, surround, tech, technology, ten