Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 01-16-2008   #1

Smile Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I know many of us are englamored by the technological advances of today. They are coming at an exponential rate - and its hard to keep up. I've wondered, however, do any of the people on this forum have vintage speakers that they just won't give up? Let me start things off.

I have a set of Snell E-II's plus a single - I used these as my LCR in my HT until two of the tweeters where hit by a freak lightning storm (the original foster tweeters are no longer made - the only replacements available are from Audio Note).

I have an emergency array of Infinity RS-6b Kappas - coupled with a good sub - these spearkers, although power hungry, out perform may higher priced modern models. I have received many a complement as to the sound of this particular array - The emit tweeters have an open sound, and pans are seamless across the front speakers.

What do you have that's vintage but still hangs with modern speakers?
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #2

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I still have two pairs of JSE's from the early eighties, a pair of Model 1's and 1.8's, both in Oak, I had planned to find another model 1 or maybe even .5 and make a kick a$$ HT out of them but have never done it yet. The last 0.5's I saw selling were going for more than what I paid for my 1.0's new.

These are great speakers and with enough power can really jam, it's for this reason, and that the 1's were the first really high end speakers I ever owned that they are still with me now, though currently not in use.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I still have two pairs of JSE's from the early eighties, a pair of Model 1's and 1.8's, both in Oak, I had planned to find another model 1 or maybe even .5 and make a kick a$$ HT out of them but have never done it yet. The last 0.5's I saw selling were going for more than what I paid for my 1.0's new.

These are great speakers and with enough power can really jam, it's for this reason, and that the 1's were the first really high end speakers I ever owned that they are still with me now, though currently not in use.
Good to know! I hope you can find your missing link.

What people are starting to do with the Snell original E and the type II - converting them to Audio Note AN-E's. The box type of the Original E and the AN-E are identical -the only difference between the AN-E and the Type E-II is the rear tweeter and people are just disconnecting it and trading out the woofer, crossover and main tweeter. I've though about doing this myself but it will be a long project.
Old 01-16-2008   #4

prerich,

FWIW I have a friend looking to sell of some Snell Studio monitor B's (those huge dipoles they made) if they would help you out I'll put you in touch with him.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
prerich,

FWIW I have a friend looking to sell of some Snell Studio monitor B's (those huge dipoles they made) if they would help you out I'll put you in touch with him.
Thanks but the monitor B's were made after Peter Snell died. Different design and drive choices - still a GREAT speaker though (and you are right - they are HUGE)!
Old 01-18-2008   #6
Super Moderator

I inherited a pair of Klipsch K-horns that turned 30 years old in the same year that the company produced the 60th anniversary edition, in the forward left and right positions. I wish I had a LaScala in the center and another pair of K-horns in the rear. I'd need to do a bit of surgery on my room to create another set of corners though.

These present a real challenge, as I have to attenuate the amp output by over 10dB on their channels to get them to balance with my other speakers, but they sure are fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I know many of us are englamored by the technological advances of today. They are coming at an exponential rate - and its hard to keep up. I've wondered, however, do any of the people on this forum have vintage speakers that they just won't give up? Let me start things off.

I have a set of Snell E-II's plus a single - I used these as my LCR in my HT until two of the tweeters where hit by a freak lightning storm (the original foster tweeters are no longer made - the only replacements available are from Audio Note).

I have an emergency array of Infinity RS-6b Kappas - coupled with a good sub - these spearkers, although power hungry, out perform may higher priced modern models. I have received many a complement as to the sound of this particular array - The emit tweeters have an open sound, and pans are seamless across the front speakers.

What do you have that's vintage but still hangs with modern speakers?

Last edited by kloneman; 01-19-2008 at 08:35 AM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage