Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 04-02-2009   #43

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I have a set of ESS AMT 1a speakers purchased for $798 in 1978 that still sound as good or better than many "modern" systems. I have replaced the passive radiators recently and refoamed the low frequency drivers several times. The Heil Air-Motion Transformers still sound today as they did the day I bought them.
dlmax100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #44

Cool Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I have a pair of ADS L-630s and Advents in my garage that I fire up occasionally with an older Technics receiver. My L630s were my primary speakers, along with a M&J Goliath II passive sub for many years, and crossed over properly and driven with a powerful amp, were an incredible combo.

One of my best friends still has his ADS L910s, along with a newer pair of L880s, that he is powering with multiple Hafler Transnova 4000 amps. Those things positively breath.

Pat
Stiletto_Pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009   #45

I still have a pair of vintage Advent large loudspeakers from 1976 which are connected to a small amp and tuner in my garage. They sound fine (I replaced the woofers and tweeters several times apiece) but they were eventually replaced by NHT Super Ones and NHT 10" sub in the mid-'90s because they lacked the clear high end that characterizes more modern speakers.

-
GrtGrfx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009   #46

I have a pair of Mordaunt Short Pageant Series 2 speakers which I traded an old Magnasonic Stereo receiver for. I knew what they were worth but the guy I got them from didn't
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009   #47

I own a pair of Altec Lancing Voice Of The Theater A-7's that I use for my l & r and they work great. I would have a hard time finding something to replace them without spending a ridiculous amount of money. And since they are so efficient it has be hard to match up center channel and rear speakers that can keep up with the vintage monsters.

HD-DVD & Blu-ray Owner

DTS-HD Master Audio & Uncompressed PCM Supporter
Dave Moritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2009   #48

I still use some Klipschorns I purchased in the early 70's. Matched with some Klipsch La Scala's.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage