Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-31-2009   #37

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

What is the definition of Vintage speakers? If my Infinity IRS Vs and IRS Betas are vintage, what other than the almost $100k to over $200k speakers should I buy to not equal them, but surpass their sound?
Mitchell Erblich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #38

I still use my thirty+ year old Kef 104 abs in a spare bedroom and they still sound great. I wish my current speakers had their tweeters.
rppb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009   #39

I have a rich uncle who gave me a pair of Polk SDA-1's (1986 or '88 models I believe) a few years back. They had been sitting idle until recently when I happened to pick up the user's manual for them and became intrigued with the technical explanation of why the speakers are designed in mirror image of one another and have a cable connecting the left and right speaker together. I put them in place of my Paradigm Studio 100's and although not quite their equal, the SDA-1's sound very good. The dual soft dome tweeters are a little bright for my taste but my son prefers them the the Studios so they are on loan in his living room.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #40

I still own a pair of Polk Monitor 10B's and a pair of Monitor 4's I've lent to my brother in law. He bought a center channel and a sub and now is all Polk in his home theater and very happy.

I have a pair of AR 94's that need new surrounds on the (4) woofers. I don't know how successful they would be now but at least one person on the net likes 'em:

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/ar94rebuild_e.html

This thread has confirmed my impression that there is a lot of classic Klipsch, Infinity and Polk stuff out there.
bluzrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #41

I own a pair of Allison Four speakers that I purchased over thirty years ago. I consider them the best audio purchase I have ever made...
deadfeat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2009   #42
AVG

Smile Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I am using AR 9's for my main system for over twenty years. i bought them in a Hi Fi store in Middletown N. Y. can't remember when at the old age. They were on the floor back then and for sale for $1,000.00 for the pair(130 lbs each). Had to use my father-in- laws pickup truck to take them home then which was staten Island N. Y. Around 1990 i packed them up for my move to Florida.About ten years ago the foam surrounds went on the four 12" subs and the two mid range. I had to replace them all but they are still working great in 2009.
AVG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage