Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 02-23-2008   #25

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

homentertain,

Welcome to the forum!

I am glad to see women on here, many think this hobby is only men, and as you likely know, women are proven to have better hearing than us guys (that should come as no surprise to any woman!)

What kind of gear are you using and what aged speaker do your folks have??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008   #26

Smile Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I'm using two sets of vintage speakers and I would never part with either. One pair is Infinity RS 2.5 ; base is powered by Bose 1801 , upper by Haffler DH500.
The other pair are Altec Lansing Mr 94 horns for mid, 1602 tweeters, a Kroth copy of an Altec base bin with Gauss 18" drivers and an Altec subwoofer(can't remember the mod# but it's about the size of a smart car.
I watch the new gear and obviously smaller speakers are in style now, but call me old fashioned; I just like the way this old stuff sounds.
ray134 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008   #27

David Hafler. Have not talked about his amps for some time. Another good name from the past. Very good sound, at a price just about anyone could handle.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009   #28

Talking Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I had the Infinity RSB's from the eighties , ( 10inch poly woofer ,5inch poly mid ,and the famous Emit tweeter ,they were years ahead of the pack. About 6 months ago I gave them to a friend, regret giving it to him this day ! The speakers they make today mostlly suck (including Infinity when it was bought out ), thats why I'm planning to make my own. The software technology of today is great which I'll use to make a dipole system or maybe one that was close to my original Infinity's ,though still deciding.Good luck
Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009   #29

I have and use daily a pair of ESS AMT10B speakers that I obtained at a tag sale about 8 years ago. They had been "stored" in a garage for over a decade and needed refoaming of the woofers and passive radiators. One of them actually had the remains of a squirrel's nest inside. The air motion transformer tweeters were intact, which is what matters most. I refoamed them and they have been in constant use ever since in one of my two main systems. They outperform every speaker system I have ever owned, including full range electrostatics and a pair of Magnaplanar SMGa's with subwoofer supplement. The air motion transformer tweeter was and remains one of the few true audio breakthroughs.
awtuckit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2009   #30

I have a pair of mid 80's B&W DM3000's. Unfortunately, I'm in a world of hurt right now and am looking for some help. My B&K amp sent something awful to the left front speaker yielding a toasty situation. I was able to get a new crossover from B&W, but sadly no other parts exist for this beautiful speaker. And, after receiving the crossover, I found out that the mid-range driver had been fried as well. I truly hate the thought of trashing these fine old speakers. Maybe somebody out there has some dusty old DM3000's or miraculously, maybe a mid-range BZ200 driver. I guess you never know until you ask! Thanks in advance for any help.

Mark
marksmessages is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage