Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 02-06-2008   #13

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I still use some Kef 104.2's as my main speakers, along with an original Sunfire sub and Kef Ref. 100 center. They are driven by a NAD T-762 receiver. Before the NAD I used an Adcom preamp and Denon POA-6600 (260 watt) monoblocks. One of the Denon's died and I haven't been able to repair it yet. The den is small so the NAD sounds pretty good with the Kefs. The Kef's were $2k 19 years old and I wonder if there are newer speakers that would sound better than the 104.2's. Maybe some Martin Logan's????

In the basement I have a pair of recently refoamed Snell C-II's driven with an AES SET amp. The AES has WE 300B tubes that were made in the Huntsville plant. The Snells sound great with the AES amp, but are too big to use with the main system in the den. They don't pass the WAF. I sometimes use the AES amp with the Kef's, but its inherent hum is a little too loud for HT use.
Merton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #14

Merton,

I used to own the Kef 107/2's, nice speakers. I still like the Kef's, and have their 5005.2 system in my bedroom
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008   #15

Thumbs up Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I know many of us are englamored by the technological advances of today. They are coming at an exponential rate - and its hard to keep up. I've wondered, however, do any of the people on this forum have vintage speakers that they just won't give up? Let me start things off.

I have a set of Snell E-II's plus a single - I used these as my LCR in my HT until two of the tweeters where hit by a freak lightning storm (the original foster tweeters are no longer made - the only replacements available are from Audio Note).

I have an emergency array of Infinity RS-6b Kappas - coupled with a good sub - these spearkers, although power hungry, out perform may higher priced modern models. I have received many a complement as to the sound of this particular array - The emit tweeters have an open sound, and pans are seamless across the front speakers.

What do you have that's vintage but still hangs with modern speakers?
Excellent. I remember the Kappa`s well. Back in the day, my first audio dept. I worked for was Sam Goody. And we sold Infinity speakers (when Arnie Nudell was still there) and SAE electronics. That was the IRS days for Infinity. Then, the Kappas came later on. Nice sounding speakers.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I still have two pairs of JSE's from the early eighties, a pair of Model 1's and 1.8's, both in Oak, I had planned to find another model 1 or maybe even .5 and make a kick a$$ HT out of them but have never done it yet. The last 0.5's I saw selling were going for more than what I paid for my 1.0's new.

These are great speakers and with enough power can really jam, it's for this reason, and that the 1's were the first really high end speakers I ever owned that they are still with me now, though currently not in use.
Attention: On Audiogon in the Monitor section - a pair of JSE 0.6 for sale...for $199.00!!!! Condition looks pretty good - does this help?!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by deacongreg View Post
Excellent. I remember the Kappa`s well. Back in the day, my first audio dept. I worked for was Sam Goody. And we sold Infinity speakers (when Arnie Nudell was still there) and SAE electronics. That was the IRS days for Infinity. Then, the Kappas came later on. Nice sounding speakers.
Yeah, they don't make Infinity's the way they used to. But I love mine!!!!!
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2008   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
Attention: On Audiogon in the Monitor section - a pair of JSE 0.6 for sale...for $199.00!!!! Condition looks pretty good - does this help?!
I have seen these on there before, the guy lives across the state from me so it's like 400 miles, long trek, I thought about it, and still am....
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage