Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 03-15-2011   #97

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

My HT front L/R speakers are my old Cerwin Vega D-9's, that I originally purchased in 1983, and used in my "lounge lizard" gigging days, running it off of a Peavey PA-400 way back then.

I'm currently in the process of updating it a bit. As is the custom, the orange rubber surrounds on the 15" driver are crumbling away, so I've replaced them with a couple of 55-2963's from MCM.

I found a guy in OK that re-fabrics the front bezel, he replaced the old brown with a tan, and even secured new Cerwin-Vega logos on them!

I removed the rear plastic "spring open and push in the wire" connectors, and replaced them with flush mouth two-way banana plugs (unscrew the banana plug, and you have an exposed 1/4" hole to place raw cable), plus I added a 1/4" TS connector, so I wouldn't have problems hooking it up, no matter what function I need them for!

I'm playing around with some mids to brighten up the center, and going to try a Ribbon Planar added along with the current tweeter, with L-Pads, to see what might become of the sound.

Using a few online port calculators, I've tuned the cabinet to 32 Hz, there were two 10" cardboard ports originally installed (and appropriate for the OEM driver), but this new driver needs two 13.5" ports. If you ever are looking to update your system, even just replacing "one for one," there's a company out there called PSP that makes a product called the Precision Port. It's "flared" on both ends to help muzzle noise, and an all round solid piece of equipment. Cost at Parts-Express was $10 each for the 4" ports that can be adjusted up to 18."
musikman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011   #98

Hi, I recently sold my H/T set up as I wanted to fund getting a two channel set up. For three year I scoured the local buy and sell website and Canuck Audio Mart looking to find a pair of vintage Polk SDA speakers. Two weeks ago I found a pair in excellent condition so I made the 5 hour road trip to get them.One week after that I found a vintage Rotel 2 channel amp (Rotel RB-870 BX) and purchased that. I am very pleased with the set up with a total cost of $500.00. Yesterday I ordered a pair of upgraded tweeders from Polk and am interested to see the results of this change. So far I am very impressed with this set up. These old Polks have superb imaging and a wide soundstage.

Tim

Last edited by renowilliams; 04-09-2011 at 03:16 PM..
renowilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011   #99

"I have a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Limited Edition that came with a Jensen P12N speaker. This speaker does wonders for the Hot Rod tone. I can't imagine having any other speaker in this amp and having it sound so good. I have so much trust in Jensen that I also plan to change out the stock speaker in my Champion 600 to a Mod 6-15."

Old 12-26-2011   #100
Super Moderator

Well, its been almost 3 years and I'm still looking for that magic combination of price, age, and condition for something to match the K-Horns in the rear. I love my Acoustat 2+2's but I don't want to beat them up by boosting their input to match the K-Horns, and its a shame to cut the K-Horn input by so much. I suspect that the step up transformers just can't take that.
Old 08-15-2012   #101

I was very impressed with the Avalon Ascents driven by Rowland amps in the 90s. They are very transparent and open sounding though I have not heard the present models. For some reasons I miss my old JBL 112s and 4311s but when I asked myself the question if I want to own one again today, I would say no. In some ways, it's like an old girl friend. LOL
activevisual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012   #102

I 'm using Cornwall Speakers in my HT now with a Heresy for the center. here's a freq response curve post Audyssey in my room.

prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage