Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 11-19-2009   #85

Default Hey I'm new

What's up everyone, my name is Shaun. I'm new to the forum and just wanted to say hey. I hope I posted this in the right section!
ShaunPasko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010   #86

Default Wharfedale - W60 and Slimline 2

My first speakers with a brand name were Wharfedale W60 with the sand-filled back panel.

I had to get rid of them in 1973 as both woofers were blown and couldn't find replacement (caused by too much volume and a bad amp).

All I remember was it was those speakers sounded greate best speakers I had heard at the time.

Since 2005 I was on the lookout for a pair of W60 in very good shape that I could find locally... but I was out of luck.

Last Tuesday, I found a pair of Wharfedale Slimline 2 in pretty good shape and I was very happy of my finding.

Murphy's law coming into play, today I found a pair of W60 in good condition...now I will get two pairs of Wharfedale !!!

Last edited by Mcintosh Man; 02-11-2010 at 09:27 PM..
Mcintosh Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010   #87

Default Re: Wharfedale - W60 and Slimline 2

Those really are oldies. I recall them, though I never really was entranced by them. I liked acoustic suspension speakers when they first arrived, since I thought the bass was too "tubby" on speakers before that. And I never heard really good tweeters either, and seldom do even nowadays. I have pretty much decided that ribbon tweeters have the most extension, where triangles and cymbals have "air". And there are some really good raw speakers out there, but to find them put together in a system that is really good is the exception. And most of those cost serious money, like the Genesis speakers.
I do like my Infinity Kappa 9s, and it seems others do too, since the prices of used Kappa 9s and Kappa 8s have gone up recently, when they were a very good bargain before, they are merely a good deal now.
Dave Ladely
DaveLadely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010   #88

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I do, I do! BUT, I've been thinking of revamping most of my system starting with the speakers. I've got a pair of Klipsch KG4's - beauty!, and JBL Aquarius 1's that I've completely refinished, the woofers have been re-everythinged to original specs and I replaced one tweeter, and still have another tweet for when the other goes. I bought a pair on eBay for mucho $$ I even built some new grills from the ground up but that, as it turns out that is the weakest point...I am NOT a carpenter. I also own some Pioneer CS77-A's, a pair of Coral BX-1401's and some pretty cool EPI's. But have my heart set on the Martin Logan Vista's. That size is all the room can handle and to me (the most important thing in buying speakers) they sound better than anything I've ever heard in any price range, except the larger Martin Logans...ahhh room constraints. my PC audio set-up is Dell laptop with an s-video adapter w/coaxial conversion set to s/pdf out and in to a Beresford TC 7520 DAC and from that I've got the RCA jacks running to my Yamaha C4 preamp. FLAC files sound the best (creative media or foobar) but nothing sounds that bad except those silly AAC in iTunes which I've started to convert to AIFF is it? Takes up 3x the space but the diff is signiff. Pretty soon I'll be switching to a power mac pro and get out of DellHell and start ripping my vinyl in through this beauteous Bellari VP 530 phono tube preamp. Can't wait! Anyone out there using a Mac to Dac set-up? I'm interested in configurations and stock versus upgraded sound cards in the Mac...anyone?
vinylist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #89

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

Howdy,

Newbie here. I recently aquired a nice pair of RetilinearIII's....Highboys. Also have a pair of Marantz WSP 4115's and LSP1412's. A guy on my local Craigslist has pair or Waredale w60e's that he's asking $95 for..... I got 'em down to $75.. I might pick 'em up.but am running out of space.
codsac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010   #90

Talking Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

I know it's against all the rules, but with my quad system, I'm using Realistic Minimus 7s for the back channels.
barfle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage