Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Loudspeakers > Loudspeakers

Loudspeakers No single component in your rig impacts your sound more. Discuss anything and everything about speakers here.

Old 07-14-2009   #67

Default Re: Do you own (and use) any Vintage speakers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffH View Post
I have an old pair of DBX speakers I purchased from a liquidator back in the early 80's. Thay are huge. They have 15 inch woofers and put out amazing base. I use these in my basement for music only but are still going strong.
Small world. I have a pair of dbx speakers which I bought about the same time you did. They still sound terrific to my ears. Must be a different model, because mine have 10" woofers, 4 in each cabinet. My speakers are about 47" x 16" x 16" and use a dedicated equalizer. Is that similar to the ones you have?
HenryPercy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2009   #68

They sound similar.
Mine have the front firing 15 inch woofers, 2 smaller front firing midrange and two tweeters that are on top of the cabinet facing upwards. It has a built in equalizer that you can use to adjust the sound to your liking.
CliffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #69

I own a pair of brand new Kef LS3/5a, the collector limited edition. I did not open the box yet!
Hagilboa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
I inherited a pair of Klipsch K-horns that turned 30 years old in the same year that the company produced the 60th anniversary edition, in the forward left and right positions. I wish I had a LaScala in the center and another pair of K-horns in the rear. I'd need to do a bit of surgery on my room to create another set of corners though.

These present a real challenge, as I have to attenuate the amp output by over 10dB on their channels to get them to balance with my other speakers, but they sure are fun.
I too use K-Horns, mine however are a clone of the the infamous Klipsch made by a company formerly out of Seattle; SpeakerLab. I made mine from scratch in the late 70's using the plans and driver's purchased from SpeakerLab. These form the front soundstage for my Home Theater...

For the center channel I replicated the top section of the K-horns, I was lucky enough to find all of the original horns just outside of Seattle, a guy had them advertised in " The Little Nickel Want Ad's".

BTW, I built all of the surround speakers as well using Vifa components. The next thing will be a bass reinforcement subwoofer system using Eminence Lab 12 drivers in clamshell-horn loaded enclosure; the Lab
Westcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #71

Maybe not quite vintage yet but my PSB Stratus Goldi are as fresh today as they were 12yrs ago. With them bi-amped w/two Adcom 555s they hit like a champ.
Motallica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009   #72

I guess the most vintage I still use are my AR-3a pair. The midranges and tweeters were long ago blown by using underpowered equipment, but the 12" woofers survived. I disconnected the internal crossover, and use the pair as a subwoofer in my family room. Second is my pair of DCM Time windows that I use as my surround speakers in a 7.1 (the rear surrounds are M&K S-125s). The front mains are Carver AL-IIIs and the sub is a Sunfire True Subwoofer Mk.II (center is an M&K S-125C). That, and along with a pair of Radio Shack Realistic Minimus 7s I have in my office, I'd say most everything is vintage except for the M&Ks (also have an M&K MX-125 Mk.II and a pair of S-80s in the office).
BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1801, 25, amt10b, authorized, bose, ess, florida, huntsville, infinity, loudspeakers, repair, rs, sale, speakers, stereo, vintage