Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Loudspeakers (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers-3/)
-   -   Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice - Please help (http://www.avrev.com/forum/loudspeakers/1429-basic-room-acoustics-need-advice-please-help.html)

esolecky 01-10-2008 04:54 PM

Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice - Please help

I have Revel F52's positioned about 2 ft from rear wall and about 3 ft from side walls (about 6 ft apart from one another). My room is fairly small and very open. About 15 ft wide and I am positioned about 6 feet away from them. I have no rear wall, the room continues into the kitchen. The sound is great except for one thing, when I cup my hands behind my ears while I am listening in the sweet spot the sounds comes alive even more. The harmonics and air seem to be taken to a higher level. I can't listen with my hands cupped behind my ears the whole time, does this effect have anything to do with no sound reflecting off the rear of me? Am i crazy? Please advise.

Lotus 01-11-2008 01:09 PM

Re: Basic Room Acoustics - Need advice - Please help

Quote:

Originally Posted by esolecky (Post 9178)
I have Revel F52's positioned about 2 ft from rear wall and about 3 ft from side walls (about 6 ft apart from one another). My room is fairly small and very open. About 15 ft wide and I am positioned about 6 feet away from them. I have no rear wall, the room continues into the kitchen. The sound is great except for one thing, when I cup my hands behind my ears while I am listening in the sweet spot the sounds comes alive even more. The harmonics and air seem to be taken to a higher level. I can't listen with my hands cupped behind my ears the whole time, does this effect have anything to do with no sound reflecting off the rear of me? Am i crazy? Please advise.

It sounds to me like you may have a lot of absorbing material in the room as well.

I'd have to see a picture to even have any idea of how to help you.

esolecky 01-12-2008 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is some pictures of the room - appreciate your feedback - sliding door on the left. Carpet on the floors, closets on the right, open in the rear. One picture is looking from the speakers to the back of the room into the kitchen which is open to this room. I sit in an equilateral triangle formed by the speakers, toed in.

I have been playing with the tweeter level switch on the Revels - right now I have it at +1 dB to see if that helps.

Lotus 01-13-2008 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by esolecky (Post 9319)
Here is some pictures of the room - appreciate your feedback - sliding door on the left. Carpet on the floors, closets on the right, open in the rear. One picture is looking from the speakers to the back of the room into the kitchen which is open to this room. I sit in an equilateral triangle formed by the speakers, toed in.

I have been playing with the tweeter level switch on the Revels - right now I have it at +1 dB to see if that helps.

I take it you've messed with the angles on the toe in...

If possible move the EQ rack to the right of your right speaker and move that closer to the TV. Then adjust the angle of the toe in to where you think it may sound better.

Try that and let us know if it helps with the dynamics at all.

If not a sliding curtain could be an answer (hard to tell if it's possible) if acceptable to the spouse.