Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   Home Automation (http://www.avrev.com/forum/home-automation-35/)
-   -   Lighting Control is a must for every audiophile and theater junkie (http://www.avrev.com/forum/home-automation/788-lighting-control-must-every-audiophile-theater-junkie.html)

JerryDelColliano 09-24-2007 11:02 AM

Lighting Control is a must for every audiophile and theater junkie

I was sitting in my theater watching the Eagles (in HORRIBLE looking uniforms) destroy the Detroit Lions and used my Lutron Grafix Eye to adjust the lights in my room on one of the settings so that I kept the screen dark but had light to read my Dobber Guide for fantasy hockey towards the back of the theater. It really was the best of both worlds.

For music, I am able to make the room VERY dark with only little beams of light that I can control from my Crestron which REALLY makes the music sound better when you aren't looking at all the gear and or are destracted by looking at beaming reflections from speakers etc... Psycoacoustics is what I belive the scientists call it. :)

A small Lutron is about $500 to $800 and an electrican is likely needed to install it. You don't need a Crestron to control it. I bet a Harmony can do it and Lutron has their own affordable remote which I used to use in the old days at Cello LA with great results too.

The WOW-factor for the dollar is REALLY worth it. I do RECOMMEND the bigger Grafix Eye (six zone). Despite the increased cost - the ability to control all of the different zones allows for you to get REALLY custom with your presets.

kennyt 09-24-2007 12:52 PM

Re: Lighting Control is a must for every audiophile and theater junkie

I have considered this as I need a system to retro fit my house but haven't gotten around to doing it yet. I can't decide if I truly NEED it, I want it. I guess that should be enough!

You are right, the Harmony's DO control the Lutron's which is one of the reasons I want their system.... Maybe this month I'll get around to doing this and write up my experience here. I first will have to convince the wife and make sure it will work for the kids....

Imagine, I have already talked myself into another project....

kennyt 09-24-2007 02:47 PM

I am looking into the RadioRA system....

Scary how fast I can talk myself into something.

If I can use RF from multiple remotes so I can avoic the bulky touchpads except where necessary, it will be done... Oh yes, it will be done!

deacongreg 09-24-2007 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kennyt (Post 3496)
I am looking into the RadioRA system....

Scary how fast I can talk myself into something.

If I can use RF from multiple remotes so I can avoic the bulky touchpads except where necessary, it will be done... Oh yes, it will be done!

lol again. You enjoy talking yourself into stuff!!

I agree with you and Jerry. I saw a Lutron demo a few years ago at a show. And while I knew how important lighting was for certain screens and watching movies, just to set the mood, you must have it!!

kennyt 09-24-2007 04:54 PM

I enjoy shopping and buying things.. I happen to be really good at talking myself into buying things!

I have been toying with this project for a while now and have talked myself out of it so many times. I fear interference into my power lines from the units but with the dedicated lines I now have that should be less of an issue so maybe it's time to do it.

The wife gave me the green light if I want to do it, and I am actively looking into it now, so it likely will be done in the next few months as time permits.

deacongreg 09-24-2007 06:01 PM

That is great. You have much going on now. The Levs, the lighting, you must be excited!! Great also to have a wife that will let you flow, as well.

Your doing your thing, as Isaac Hayes, would say.