Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Home Automation

Home Automation Talk about everything Crestron, AMX, Control 4 and beyond.

Old 01-19-2008   #7

Default Re: Lighting Control is a must for every audiophile and theater junkie

The dimmers and especially if you use compact fluorescent bulbs generates a lot of noise on the lines.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
I enjoy shopping and buying things.. I happen to be really good at talking myself into buying things!

I have been toying with this project for a while now and have talked myself out of it so many times. I fear interference into my power lines from the units but with the dedicated lines I now have that should be less of an issue so maybe it's time to do it.

The wife gave me the green light if I want to do it, and I am actively looking into it now, so it likely will be done in the next few months as time permits.
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2008   #8

Fluorescent gone except for the bathrooms until I remodel them, dimmers are notorious for line noise. Currently I run my gear off a power regenerator so I don't know if they are affected by that anymore, shouldn't be but...

BTW I talked myself out of the lighting system, I just didn't see it as necessary for my 3,500 sg-ft house, not light switch is that far away!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008   #9

Well, that only means you now have the green light for something else. Maybe another watch?
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #10

I have a 2 zone Lutron Grafik Eye and I can control with my harmony remote. I wished I had bought a 3 or a 4 zone to give more lighting control. I have one zone for the 8 pot lights and the other for the 4 wall sconces. In hind sight splitting the front 2 lights would have added a lot of value. I could have ran the wires for the zones and joined them at the box for the time being until my budget allowed for a 3 or 4 zone controller. A star topology would have been best. Hind sight is 20/20 though right.

Since I have 12 lights powers by the dimmer they are on one dedicated circuit. This would reduce the possible feedback. It's not a good idea to have the lighting on the same circuit as your gear anyway. One thing I found out the hard way was that the BR bulbs tend to hum when dimmed. Replacing them with PAR halogen bulbs stopped that.

I would definitely recommend a Lutron Grafik Eye or similar to anyone constructing a home theater. It adds an extra wow feature when you can gradually dim the lights down to a set level remotely when your movie starts. Good planning is vital though to set up zones.

Many electricians aren't that savvy when it comes to lighting layout. A lot of the time they just do the basics and/or wire things to a schematic that's already been laid out for them. A skilled interior decorator or lighting consultant is a better bet. They can recommend the number and type of lights needed and zones to use.
MatrixDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #11

I have a 4 zone Lutron Grafik Eye. I like it a lot. It was ~$1k for just the Grafik Eye, so be prepared to spend some $ you if want to go this route.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008   #12

I guess X10 can give you comparable functionality for a lot less money. It can also be retrofitted in many cases so you don't need to redo any drywall (or very little). Conceivably for ~$1K you could do the better part of your home rather than one room. X10 can basically turn your home electrical grid into a network with controllable nodes. If I ever have to do it again I'll probably go the X10 route.
MatrixDweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
3500, 890, audiophile, bulbs, control, dimming, eye, grafik, halogen, harmony, light, lutron, master, par, programming, radiora, theater, zone