Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Home Automation

Home Automation Talk about everything Crestron, AMX, Control 4 and beyond.

Old 09-03-2007   #1

Question Would you automate your house if.........

I know many of us, myself included, live in older homes. If I was building a house nowadays, I would have CAT 6 wiring everywhere, but in my 1988 built home, that is not to be, nor will it likely ever be due to the difficulty and cost of wiring such a house.

New technologies such as meshed networking might just allow all those in my situation to add full home automation merely by changing out all the light switches and adding control panels. I am seriously interested in this as a technology geek, but wonder if I am the only one. Granted these switches will cost alot more than the standard $1.99 Home Depot units, but am already agog about the technology and it will surely only get cheaper with time.

Would you do this to your home to add automation or is this something that doesn't interest you??
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #2

Default Re: Would you automate your house if.........

The cost does seem to be, depending on the situation, prohibitive in some cases. However kennyt, like yourself, I like the whole idea myself. Though, there is still a part of me (I guess I`m old school) that wants to go touch and play with the components themselves. You know, the volume control, tone controls, you know!!

However, being able to control lighting, sound, music, your curtains, with those cool looking AMX, and Crestron remotes, I would do it. In fact, my wife and I have out grown are apt. House hunting is nexxt on the list kennyt.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007   #3

About the only time I need to touch my components are when I put discs in!

Good luck house hunting! When the wife and I went, we would always stop off for a beer and app's after and critique all the home we saw while they were fresh in our minds. We very quickly realized there are a lot of dumb houses out there!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012   #4

The idea seems to be fair enough.
nathan01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
automate, cost, home, house