Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Remotes, Home Automation and PC Convergence > Home Automation

Home Automation Talk about everything Crestron, AMX, Control 4 and beyond.

View Poll Results: How would you rate Elan service and support
Horrible 0 0%
Good 0 0%
Poor 0 0%
Indifferent 0 0%
Voters: 0. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2008   #1

Angry Elan Home System Problems

Anyone had a similar experience with Elan Home Systems? All of a sudden all speakers in the house went on with multiple streams of audio coming out. The company I use to do maintenance called Elan and were told to send the main processor back to the factory. Next day they were told they had to send all amplifiers, wall screens and any other Elan equipment back as well. What gives? Sounds like A) they don't know what they are doing b) it's a ruse not to provide maintenance on older systems(Via!) or c) they hate their customers and want to drag them through hell.

Two days ago Elan answered an inquiry and said that their system can only be diagnosed by an "authorized Elan dealer". If service is not provided by an "authorized dealer" they require all components to be shipped to the factory for diagnosis. Strangely enough Elan dealers are hard to find - I wonder why? Talk about restraint of trade!

Last edited by Donf214; 10-01-2008 at 10:59 AM..
Donf214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009   #2
Banned

Default Re: Elan Home System Problems

sounds strange to me.
Gman-north is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010   #3

Default Re: Elan Home System Problems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donf214 View Post
Anyone had a similar experience with Elan Home Systems? All of a sudden all speakers in the house went on with multiple streams of audio coming out. The company I use to do maintenance called Elan and were told to send the main processor back to the factory. Next day they were told they had to send all amplifiers, wall screens and any other Elan equipment back as well. What gives? Sounds like A) they don't know what they are doing b) it's a ruse not to provide maintenance on older systems(Via!) or c) they hate their customers and want to drag them through hell.

Two days ago Elan answered an inquiry and said that their system can only be diagnosed by an "authorized Elan dealer". If service is not provided by an "authorized dealer" they require all components to be shipped to the factory for diagnosis. Strangely enough Elan dealers are hard to find - I wonder why? Talk about restraint of trade!
Please - I will give you a list of things to check and do which may solve your problem. The reasons ... would take too long to explain:

- Speaker wires: Check the wires at BOTH ends to make sure no stray strands of copper are sticking out. Just one strand can cause a short and throw the receiver into protect mode.

- Speaker size: Tell the receiver that all your speakers are "SMALL". This will force it to send the power hungry low frequency sounds from the 5 speakers to the self-powered sub. This greatly reduces the power demand on the receiver.

- VENTING: Make sure the receiver is on the lowest shelf and has lots of room above it to vent the heat away. Some fools simply stack DVD players, Cable box's , etc right on top of the receiver and wonder why they have to buy a new one every year.

I strongly suspect you have a shorted speaker wire as you have just hooked things up. Disconnect, trim, and reconnect every wire behind the speakers and behind the receiver. This is the most common reason for going into protect mode.

Tags
amps, authorized, control4, dealer, dealers, definition, elan, forum, high, home, manual, problems, stereo, system, systems, video, working