Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 10-19-2007   #1

Default HDMI 1.3a vs b

Anyone know the difference between HDMI 1.3(a) or 1.3(b)?
pfslai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2007   #2

Default Re: HDMI 1.3a vs b

Hdmi 1.3 added the ability for DeepColor, TrueHD and Master HD audio formats. The only difference between HDMI 1.3a and 1.3b is that 1.3b implemented stricter compliance standards for the manufacturers.

You will not see any different connectors or anything. You may see cables say they are HDMI 1.3b certified (ie from XLO/Ultralink or Accell). All that means is that they have undergone the 1.3b testing standards.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007   #3

I think the certification is important as not all HDMI cables are created equal.

My testing shows that some cables make a better connection than others in the world of HDCP copy protection. In non-copy protected systems - the cable isn't as important.

Accell, Dtrovision and Ultralink have been successful for me in my systems and my testing.
Old 11-14-2007   #4

Thumbs up Re: HDMI 1.3a vs b

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
Hdmi 1.3 added the ability for DeepColor, TrueHD and Master HD audio formats. The only difference between HDMI 1.3a and 1.3b is that 1.3b implemented stricter compliance standards for the manufacturers.

You will not see any different connectors or anything. You may see cables say they are HDMI 1.3b certified (ie from XLO/Ultralink or Accell). All that means is that they have undergone the 1.3b testing standards.
Thanks for clearing that up.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2007   #5

I don't know too many system/monitors that can do Deep Color yet but if you are making the investment in a cable - why not make sure it its somewhat "future proof"?
Old 11-26-2007   #6

Unfortunately even when there are several DeepColor displays out there, the movie studios are not creating titles with enough rendering in the colors. If the titles still use the limited colors, then it isn't going to do much to have DeepColor players, TVs, and Receivers. Still, DeepColor titles will exist in the future so it doesn't hurt.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13a, 13b, cable, cables, difference, hdmi, newest, or13b, ver, version, versus, vrs, vs, whats