Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 10-05-2007   #1

Question Does HDMI Video signal cancel other audio?

If I hook up HDMI or HDMI 1.3 for a direct connect from a player to my Mit RPTV, can I run digital audio from my player to my receiver and not have it automatically cut out?

My Onkyo receiver doesn't have HDMI, and I can't afford a new receiver now.
BYU Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #2

Default Re: Does HDMI Video signal cancel other audio?

Which Onkyo receiver do you have? Are you using a 5.1 speaker system through your Onkyo? Or do you just want 2-channel into your RPTV? Does your RPTV accept audio over HDMI?

You can have HDMI deliver picture to your TV and then select in your player's output settings to not use HDMI audio out. Instead use the Toslink or Digital Coaxial output of your player into your receiver and set your receiver to read the desired audio connection on whichever setting you want. You might need to adjust the delay settings of either your player's video output or your receiver's audio output to correct any possible sync issues.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #3

I'm not home to see which model it is, but it does have 5.1. In the past, I've used the digital coax out. If I can do as you said this is a relief. I'd like to use the HDMI 1.3 cable for video. But use the dig. coax to the receiver for now. Thanks for the info and response!
BYU Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #4

Hey Cougar,

My Dish Network Vip722 satellite recever can output HDMI audio and at the same time, the tos-link is active. I have an HDMI 1.0 switching receiver so no audio goes through it. What I do is I run my video straight into the TV and the tos link audio into the reciever. When i want to just watch TV, I get the stereo audio via the HDMI and of course the HDMI picture. I dont have to turn on my receiver to get sound. This is good at night when I dont want to rock my full system.

When i DO want to have surround sound, I just turn on my audio receiver and I can crank the surround sound. I can also mix in the stereo audio from the TV (via the HDMI) but it makes weird comb filtering usually so when I'm doing the surround sound thing, I just turn my TV volume down.
Sponsored Links

Tags
active, audio, cancels, component, dish, hdmi, include, network, receiver, run, signal, sound, surround, toslink, video