Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 10-05-2007   #1

Question HDMI vs HDMI 1.3 cables...and...

I have a new 2007 Mitsubishi 65" RPTV. I have a 45' run for HDMI. I want to hook up an upscaling DVD player, will I lose quality if I run HDMI instead
of HDMI 1.3?

Will the upscaling DVD Player make a difference over what the TV can upscale?

I'm not getting into the HD or Blue Ray just yet...waiting...and don't care about the wait.

I see HDMI at Monoprice for a good deal, but they don't carry the same length in the HDMI 1.3 cable...strange.

Thanks for advice...
BYU Cougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007   #2

Default Re: HDMI vs HDMI 1.3 cables...and...

If you are using upscaled DVD source material it does not matter if you use HDMI 1.1, 1.2 or 1.3. I don't think there are many DVD players out there that have HDMI 1.3 ports on them. Most are 1.1 or 1.2. It is not the cable that is HDMI 1.3, but rather the input/output or a device that meets a particular version standard (ie: 1.2 or 1.3). However, high-end HDMI cables do have different ratings on whether they are approved for HDMI 1.3a cable runs. So use a monoprice cable if you would like. Others will tell you different, but I for one cannot see a great picture quality difference between cables. Stable functionality and some quality difference in high-end cables, yes. But enough when using upscaled DVDs, not so much. Regular HDMI cable will be fine.

Yes, the DVD player used will make a difference. Some DVD players upscale better than others. Some play nicer with HDTVs than others. Is your HDTV native 720p, 1080i, or 1080p? Does it accept signals up to 1080i and then upscale all inputted signals to 1080p? If you HDTV upscales all content to 1080i or 1080p, how good of a job does it do? You might find a DVD player that outputs 480p via HDMI and lets the HDTV do the upscaling may do a better job that an upconverting player that converts the upconverts and then makes your HDTV re-convert the signal.

I highly recommend that you delve into at least one of the next-generation formats if you have the other equipment necessary, ie good HDTV and receiver. The HD-XA2 HD DVD player and Samsung BDP-1200 do excellent jobs on upconverting SD DVDs. Just something to think about.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2007   #3

I bet the DVD player will look GREAT but WHY don't you have an HD DVD player yet with such a KILLER HDTV? Upscaled 1080p isn't ANYTHING compared to native 1080p res and you can ONLY get that on BR and HD DVD players.

I will say this - the scaling DVD player will work a hell of a lot better than an HD DVD or Blu-ray player because of the lack of HDCP copy protection. It just wont look as good as the new players and native 1080p content.
Old 10-23-2007   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
I bet the DVD player will look GREAT but WHY don't you have an HD DVD player yet with such a KILLER HDTV? Upscaled 1080p isn't ANYTHING compared to native 1080p res and you can ONLY get that on BR and HD DVD players.

I will say this - the scaling DVD player will work a hell of a lot better than an HD DVD or Blu-ray player because of the lack of HDCP copy protection. It just wont look as good as the new players and native 1080p content.
Will the HD DVD player 1080p upscale a HD RPTV that is only capible of 480p and 1080i display? Also, no HDMI only DVI and RGB in.
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #5

If your HDTV only accepts up to 1080i then that is all you will get. The HD DVD player, if set to 1080p resolution will display a blank screen on your TV. Now, if your HDTV has a native 1080p resolution, but not native 1080p inputs, your TV will upconvert any signal (480i/p, 720p, and 1080i) to be displayed at 1080p resolution via an internal processor.
tigeraudio2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2007   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigeraudio2007 View Post
If your HDTV only accepts up to 1080i then that is all you will get. The HD DVD player, if set to 1080p resolution will display a blank screen on your TV. Now, if your HDTV has a native 1080p resolution, but not native 1080p inputs, your TV will upconvert any signal (480i/p, 720p, and 1080i) to be displayed at 1080p resolution via an internal processor.
Ok, I will check. It's a 3 1/2 year old Mitsubishi Diamond 65" RP. The manual shows only 480p and 1080i. I don't want to replace the TV as just had it serviced. I also don't want to spend more than I have to for a HD DVD if I am not going to get the benefits. So I will buy the Toshiba HD-A3 VS A30/A35.
KenSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
12, 13, 13a, cable, cables, difference, differences, hdcp, hdmi, make, older, regular, version, versus, vs