Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 09-18-2007   #1
Administrator

Default What is better HDMI, component or DVI?

Voice your opinion on what is the superior method for carrying an HD signal from a source to a display.
AVRevForum.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007   #2

Default Re: What is better HDMI, component or DVI?

I know a lot of people have been having problems with HDMI but I'm not one of them!
I have HDMI cables going from my HD-DVR, Playstation 3 & DVD player going to the Denon AVR3808CI & from there 1 HDMI going to the 70" Sony XBR2, so far it's working perfectly & setup was a snap.
It's the only way to get the lossless audio & the fact the audio & video are in one cable really helps clean up the snakes nest behind my rack!

Of course all my cables are 1 & 2 meters, I may be singing a different tune if I had to run the cables 50' from another room!

There was an interesting story from the home theater cruise with several manufactures & installers in the latest Widescreen review, it seems professional installers are running HDMI in the walls of their installs but also are running component & not using the HDMI yet because of all the problems, but they are there for future use.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007   #3

Moose - you are lucky.

I had nothing but trouble with HDMI. At DEAD COST (thank you Tim at Simply Home) the labor cost me over $3,000 to try to get HDMI working. YES, it was early in the game and YES I have changed out my players now.

I am going to wait to upgrade my Meridian 861 and go from there to HDMI. I need it for the audio for movies. Too bad the record labels are too stupid to realize what is possible on HD DVD and Blu-ray. More people would one ONE cable not NINE (like with a DVD-Audio) player thus would accept copy protected and better sounding music on disc.
Old 09-19-2007   #4

Moose,

You are lucky!

I have had better succes than Jerry, but have had my fair share of headaches from the dreaded HDCP handshake..... Sometimes I think it's more a finger than a handshake!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #5
Super Moderator

Question Re: What is better HDMI, component or DVI?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVRevForum.com View Post
Voice your opinion on what is the superior method for carrying an HD signal from a source to a display.
I would believe that optical fiber is the superior medium for transferring high data rate digital signals, especially for the distance involved from A/V equipment to a projector!!!! It can accomodate any conceivable A/V bandwidth transfer, and can be made to transfer in both directions simultaneously (if multiple color carriers or fiber pairs are used. It poses no possibility of electrically coupled stray signal injection into the audio amplifier chain, and has to be cheaper than exotic copper for runs of any real length.

Why a copper connection was made the (sub)standard way of accomplishing this boggles the mind. Was there a conspiracy?

Last edited by kloneman; 01-16-2008 at 09:11 PM..
kloneman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2008   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by kloneman View Post
Optical!!!! Why a copper connection was made the (sub)standard way of accomplishing this boggles the mind. Was there a conspiracy?
But you can't get lossless audio from optical.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
1080i, 2008, audio, better, cables, component, dvi, forum, hdmi, injector, optical, sound, super, video, whats