Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 06-27-2007   #13

Default Re: HDMI 1.3, Connectivity Issues?

To Bob,

I don't think we are saying different things. I think maybe I just need to be clearer.

I am saying that if you were to take an HD-DVD player with a source HD-DVD encoded in VC-1 1080p and output that as either 1080i or 1080p to a 1080p HDTV with a good deinterlacer then the net result will be the same on the screen.

The reason being that the 1080i signal contains all the same digital information that the 1080p signal does since both originate from the 1080p source. All the same data is there and therefore you are not losing anything as long as your HDTV recombines the interlaced signal back into progressive properly.

I agree for sure that 1080i source material and 1080p source material would show a difference especially as the display gets larger.

I could point to numerous threads on other forums that explains why this is so. It was hashed and rehashed to death in the earlier days of the BR / HD-DVD war since Sony was pumping the fact that it output 1080p versus the HD-DVD's 1080i, but the reality was there was no benefit.

This doesn't even take into account the fact that the initial BR players converted the 1080p source to 1080i and then back again before outputting it anyway which effectively introducing a similar number of processing steps as you would find in an HD-DVD player outputting 1080i to a 1800p HDTV, but just at different locations in the signal path than the Toshiba's. Oh the irony.

Cheers,

Richard

PS. seeing people now hyping the HDMI 1.3 as a big bonus if you also have an HDMI 1.3 processor lol. I guess it allows for you to send the raw (don't know how else to say it) advanced audio codecs like True-HD 7/8.1 to the receiver to be processed their instead of the player. Not sure why you would want to do that unless the player cannot do the processing. You lose SAP functionality and any other audio overlays in the process.
Hogback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #14

Question Re: HDMI 1.3, Connectivity Issues?

Question -

I was under the impression that HDMI carried DIGITAL video signals, but just had a prospective installer tell me that it carries only digital audio, and ANALOG video. I thought the advantage of HDMI was to carry a pixel-for-pixel digital signal from the storage media to the display. Did I get it wrong?
irlsanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #15

Default Re: HDMI 1.3, Connectivity Issues?

No, you are right, your installer is wrong. HDMI carries digital video and audio.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2007   #16

Thumbs up Re: HDMI 1.3, Connectivity Issues?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Rapoport View Post
From Bob at PureLink: Beware of HDFury, its illegal to convert HDMI or DVI HD content to RGB or VGA because it tricks the source into thinking its connected to an HDCP compliant display. This guy has been warned and now Intel and the studios are after him. If you purchase this device, you could end up like the Napster users, in court, facing stiff penalites. Is it worth it? No. Buy a new HDTV and join the digital revolution.
Bob, its good you caught on to this. But should not Intel be going after the people who design, build and make HDFury?

And where have you been? Your missed with all your valuable insight.
deacongreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13consumer, 9200, bell, buys, difference, expressvu, hd, hdcp, hdmi, issue, problem, pvr, sound, v12, working