Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 06-13-2007   #7

Default Re: HDMI 1.3, Connectivity Issues?

Bob at PureLink responds: The HDCP handshake issue is complicated by the fact that there is no single standard by which it is implemented. Philips stuff works fine with Philips stuff, Panasonic with Pansonic, etc., but when consumers try ry to mix, for example the BellExpressVu device to an HP display, the two dont know how to talk to each other and there is trouble. The manufacturers dont even know how to fix it most of the time so consumers are stuck going back to component analog connections.

We test as many devices as possible before releasing a product. We update our firmware at least once a month to deal with the ever-evolving array of new devices and we will update our customers products within 24 hours if they send it to us. This subject is a bit of a moving target, like all technology issues. On the one hand, by having HDCP, you can watch HD content at 1080p, and listen to uncompressed 7.1 channel audio content, the best its ever been. On the other hand, to access that content, you must be in a secure environment, ie., HDMI with HDCP.

Is it worth it? Totally. v1.2 vs. v1.3 is not an issue.
Bob Rapoport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #8

Bob,

What are the differences, in your opinion, on the 1.2 ver. vs 1.3 HDMI? Is is just the color enhancement or does the 1.3 provide different sound?

Please advise - thx Rob
RobRan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2007   #9

Reply to Rob from Bob: The differences between v1.2 and v1.3 HDMI enable future devices to perform at higher levels. v1.3 is a framework into which hardware and software designers can create new higher performance content and products. Its much more about whats next than about whats out now.
Here is a link that may help: Top 5 Things You Need To Know About 1080p And HDMI™

Note, HDMI v1.2 can do everything you need it to do now. v1.1 too. There is no reason to not purchase anything available today. You can learn more by going to HDMI for details.
Old 06-26-2007   #10

From Bob at PureLink: Beware of HDFury, its illegal to convert HDMI or DVI HD content to RGB or VGA because it tricks the source into thinking its connected to an HDCP compliant display. This guy has been warned and now Intel and the studios are after him. If you purchase this device, you could end up like the Napster users, in court, facing stiff penalites. Is it worth it? No. Buy a new HDTV and join the digital revolution.
Old 06-26-2007   #11

While a lot of the main points are still valid (I am not aware of any end to end source, including the original image captures to display chain of equipment that fully supports HDMI 1.3 yet) and I think you are wasting money at the moment if you spend more on any one component in order to get it the article is over a year old.

Comments about almost no HDTV's having 1080p inputs for example are so last year and I think that now most if not a heck of a lot of the TV's advertized as 1080p actually have 1080p inputs.

That said you would be hard pressed to find a reviewer or expert that will go on record as saying that a good 1080i signal fed to a 1080p TV will look any different than a good 1080p signal to the same TV from the same source as long as the source for both is 1080p. Such as HD-DVD or Blu-Ray.

IE. A 1080i output taken from a 1080p source contains all the same information as the 1080p signal and as long as your 1080p HDTV can deinterlace it properly you would be hard pressed to notice the difference.

This is part of whats funny. A lot of the hype around HDMI 1.3 was from Sony and BR marketing to hype the perceived PS3's HDMI 1.3 advantage over the Toshiba HD-DVD players.

In my oppinions there isnt any real world advantage at this point and won't be for the next year or two when we start to see HDTV and even more importantly sourve video shot using the billions of colors and either broadcast or mastered to disk using it.

Cheers,

Richard
Hogback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007   #12

To Richard from Toronto from Bob at PureLink: You are right about v1.2 vs. v1.3 HDMI. There is no reason at this moment to hesitate buying whats in the supply chain at the moment.

I disagree with you about the difference between 1080p and 1080i however.
The key word here is "native". If you saw native 1080p content on a native 1080p display, you would see the difference from 1080i, especially at distance on a projector. With 225% more pixels than 720p/1080i, 1080p is important to big screen HDTV, above 50". Below that number, you are correct in saying that the differences are hard to see. At 90" diagonal, sitting 10 feet back, the 1080p picture is twice as good as the 1080i version.

There is not a lot of native 1080p content yet but its coming. In the meantime, lets all be realistic......720p/1080i is still pretty damn good and Planet Earth proved to be the HD experience of our lifetime. Imagine that in 1080p on the big screen and you will see my point.
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, 13consumer, 9200, bell, buys, difference, expressvu, hd, hdcp, hdmi, issue, problem, pvr, sound, v12, working