Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi-26/)
-   -   HDMI Splitter? (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi/5178-hdmi-splitter.html)

Steve2011 01-18-2011 03:46 PM

HDMI Splitter?

I'm wondering if a passive, 1-in / 2-out HDMI splitter will enable the functionality I'm looking for.

I'm looking at upgrading my preamp/processor to something that supports lossless audio (Dolby-HD, DTS-HD). I would like to keep the TV as the HDMI source select as we can listen to any of the sources through the TV speakers without having to power everything else up. Additionally, when I want full surround, I also want the audio to go to this new HD audio capable preamp/processor. I'll simply mute the TV and use the home theater setup for surround sound.

My TV is a Pioneer Elite plasma which unfortunately does not support the Audio Return Channel. Considering the TV has been discontinued, I think it's highly unlikely Pioneer will offer an upgrade and less sure such an upgrade would even be possible.

I have three HDMI sources: PS3, HD-DVR, and Apple TV. I'm thinking I could run each of those sources into a passive 1-in / 2-out HDMI splitter. One of the splitter outs goes to the TV while the other goes to the HD-capable processor. All the cables lengths are reasonably short, no more than 6 ft.

Will this approach work?

Thanks,

rbinck 01-19-2011 05:58 PM

Re: HDMI Splitter?

Yes it should work very well. Just be sure the HDMI splitter is the latest version.

Andru6091 06-27-2011 10:31 PM

1-in / 2-out HDMI splitter. yes it will work absolutely fine. Get in with it, try it and reply me that it worked fine for you :)

michael b 06-29-2011 06:04 PM

A buddy of mine has a similar setup I believe and it works fine. My question, like a regular analog splitter where you lose some quality, is it the same with HDMI?

rbinck 06-29-2011 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michael b (Post 27539)
A buddy of mine has a similar setup I believe and it works fine. My question, like a regular analog splitter where you lose some quality, is it the same with HDMI?

No digital does not have that problem.

Steve2011 09-20-2011 05:15 PM

I finally did get a 7.1 receiver and believe I don't need the HDMI splitter for three reasons.

Of the three HDMI sources: Apple TV Gen 2, Directv HD-DVR, and Playstation 3, only the playstation is capable of HD audio. The ATV2 and HD-DVR are only capable of 5.1 Dolby Digital which is adequately carried over optical cable. I believe this last statement is correct after reviewing the manuals.

All of the sources supply audio over both the HDMI cable and the optical cable at the same time.

The receiver I now have has an HDMI pass through feature. With receiver in stand-by mode, it will pass the HDMI signal, both audio and video from the last selected input when it was powered on to its' HDMI output (which is connected to the TV).

So, my connections are as follows...

Connect the ATV2 and HD-DVR to the TV with HDMI. Connect their optical outputs to the receiver. Connect the PS3 output to the receiver with only HDMI. The receiver out is obviously connected to the TV using HDMI.

Using the TV input select, I can watch and hear any of the three sources using the TV speakers. THe only gimmick is I have to make sure the Playstation was the last selected input on the receiver before I power it off.

When I want surround, I mute the TV, power on the receiver and select the appropriate source.

I figure I'll try this approach for now and if it gets annoying I'll go the next step of trying some passive 1 in/2 out HDMI splitters.