Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi-26/)
-   -   Marantz HDMI Problem (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi/4705-marantz-hdmi-problem.html)

Dave 04-17-2010 11:13 AM

Marantz HDMI Problem

I have a Marantz SR 7002 and a Marantz DV4001 and huge HDMI problems. I will give a little history first. I purchased a Marantz SR7001 3 years ago and after protection circuit repairs failed it was replaced with the 7002 18 months ago.

This Christmas we bought a Bell PVR and a Western Digital HD Media player and I decided that I would hook everything up with HDMI and get rid of the rat nest.

I have a 3 year old Pioneer TV and a Runco CL420 and if I go directly from the source to the projector or TV everything works, but when I run everything through the receiver this is the result:

Bell - Receiver - TV or projector - works but takes at least 3 tries and 30 seconds to connect
Western Digital Media Player - Receiver - TV or projector - OK
DVD - Receiver - TV or projector - Nothing ( tries to connect and won't, it gives up after about 3 tries)

The receiver and DVD went back to Marantz and supposedly had a firmware update but it still doesn't work. I emailed Marantz Canada and was given a phone number to call, two weeks later after 3 calls and more emails I get no response. My warrantee has now expired.

If I hadn't spent nearly $2000 Canadian on this 3 years ago, as a retirement gift to me, I would throw the thing in the trash.
My dealer is trying to help, but...

Everything works on component, but I recently read that soon all new stuff will all be HDMI and I would like to get this working before I buy a Blueray player.

I forgot to mention I have a Pioneer DVD player and through the receiver it won't connect either.

Nobody will even take the thing on trade because of the problems.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Dave

rbinck 04-17-2010 08:20 PM

Re: Marantz HDMI Problem

My suggestion would be to use an external HDMI switch.

Dave 04-18-2010 03:01 PM

Thanks

I thought of that and asked at my dealer and a friend in another city who is in the business and they both thought that if my problem was due to HDCP I would get video, but if it is the receiver audio could still be a problem.
They both thought that Marantz should step up and solve the problem, but for the last month the dealers requests and mine have fallen on deaf ears.

Dave

Dave 04-20-2010 09:13 AM

Well I received a call from D&M Canada this morning and they are going to solve the problem for me. Evidently the person this was handed off to has been away.

Dave

rbinck 04-20-2010 09:28 AM

Good news! Keep us updated.

Dave 07-20-2010 01:03 PM

The latest on the saga.

It has been 8 weeks since I sent my receiver (SR7002) and DVD player back to Marantz (D&M Canada). I phoned today and they are going to send the stuff back to me today, should arrive sometime next week, unfixed because "it works with there" . In the 3 years I have had the stuff I have been without the receiver for 23 weeks and the DVD player for 15 weeks. I must say that purchasing the Marantz was my biggest mistake in my 50 years in the hobby. The only time I hear anything is if I call and for the last 4 weeks the rep I have been talking to has been "going to speak to his bosses", today he tells me that they are away. He made the offer that when the new model comes out if I pay the difference I can upgrade to that one which has HDMI 1.4, I've already spent $2000 so what's another $400!

If the Marantz receiver had HDMI handshake problems with only my TV or only the projector I would figure it might be that piece of equipment, but it's both. What I find baffling is the everything works if I leave the receiver out of the mix. The satellite receiver, DVD player and WD Media player will all work with the TV. Put the receiver into the mix so I can have good sound and easy switching and nothing works properly. Especially the DVD which won't work at all. I even tried a different brand of DVD player and it still didn't work.

I guess you can tell that am not impressed!