Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 02-28-2010   #1

Unhappy How to tell what HDMI cable type I have

I purchased an couple of HDMI cables a year or two back with markings on the cable specifying the cable as version 1.3.

These cables were quite thick, about as thick as my index finger, and as a result they weren't too easy to maneuver when connecting them up.

I purchased 2 more cables from the same supplier, who advised the HDMI cables they now stocked were v1.3b . The cables that were delivered to me were much smaller in diameter, slightly thicker than a ball point pen and much easier to work with. The problem I have is that when connecting Sony TV to JVC Blu Ray player, - or in another room Pioneer DVD player to Samsung TV the result is that the HDMI light flashes (looks like it is negotiating something) but nothing comes up on the screen. On the samsung it comes up "mode not supported".

Plugging in the old thicker cables works and everything looks good again.

Now if I use any of the cables to go from my PC (HDMI out on the video card) to the Samsung for example, this works.

A friend advised me that this might not be a 1.3 cable and that it may have something to do with the cables not working with HDCP or a 1.3 technology?

With no marking on the smaller cable that specifically references 1.3/1.3b how can I verify the version of the cables is/isn't version 1.3/1.3b. Can I tell what version I am using, so I can go back to the supplier and complain with some evidence on my side?
jeffm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010   #2
Administrator

Default Re: How to tell what HDMI cable type I have

A 1.3 cable should have no problem with HDCP. The 1.3 cables will have a problem with 1080p in some cases. The only case where a 1.3 shouldl be a problem should be with PS3s, Blu-ray players, computers or media players that will output 1080p.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011   #3

Hi rbinck. Do you happen to know what's the difference between V1.4 cable and High-speed HDMI Cable?
Arcticbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012   #4

The only case where a 1.3 shouldl be a problem should be with PS3s, Blu-ray players, computers or media players that will output 1080p.
Elfreda Blau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
13, cable, cables, cabletype, codes, color, deep, find, hdmi, kind, mode, supported, type, types, version