Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi-26/)
-   -   Warning: don't go cheap on HDMI switchers OR cables (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi/449-warning-dont-go-cheap-hdmi-switchers-cables.html)

JerryDelColliano 08-12-2007 03:59 PM

Warning: don't go cheap on HDMI switchers OR cables

Engineers inside some of the bigger companies in the AV business have suggested to me that another MAJOR factor of HDMI problems is that products don't use the best, most effective chipsets to make their components.

While there is ALWAYS price pressure in the market - you might want to consider buying a better switcher for your system that has dedicated, top of the line chips in it. This way for an extra $100 or so - you get a better chance at making your HDMI work.

I have also personally found that cheapie HDMI cables don't work for you-know-what and that the better cables (Ultralink, Monster, Transparent and Dtrovision) are the best I have tested. Note: I haven't tested them all - just a few but once again - spend a little on these cables to get a more effective soluition in your system.

TheMoose 08-12-2007 07:15 PM

Re: Warning: don't go cheap on HDMI switchers OR cables

Wow I guess you've taken a stand!!
On the avs forums those would be fighting words, first off they hate Monster (& Sony for that matter) & say it's all marketing.
While I agree we are paying for advertising I also believe they make a higher quality cable.
Most of all "they" say "it's a digital signal & unless you have a very long run a cheap cable will work as well as an expensive one".

Most people will agree that analog signals are helped by a higher quality cable (but I ain't spending the $$$$$$ for Valhalla cables!) but most people also believe they have no effect on digital signals.

I've learned to take info from "internet experts" with a grain of salt, everyone seems to have an agenda.
That's why I'm glad this forum was started by people with a lot of experience with high end electronics.

I would like to hear more on HDMI cables since I'm getting ready to go almost all HDMI in my system, I have some inexpensive 24AGV HDMI cables from Monoprice.com & am wondering if these might give me problems with HDMI 1.3 sources.

JerryDelColliano 08-14-2007 07:02 AM

We don't fight as much as they do on the AVS forum. I think that is one of the key advantages here.

I speak from personal experience. The qulaity of your HDMI cable is more than a "more flowery mid-range" or "deeper extension" in your bass. It has to do with will the simple connection work every time. And note: good cables (they don't have to be REALLY expensive) aren't even a gurantee. I haven't seen ANY meaningful improvment to HDCP copy protection in the last year to make HD DVD and Blu-ray players connect better. Maybe its all behind the scenes but I haven't heard anything meaningful yet.

With that said - the lure of HDMI's one-cable connections is strong. Better audio, better video and ONE cable is a compelling value proposition that consumers will ultimately come to expect.

awahler 08-16-2007 09:46 AM

I have been a loyal customer of BetterCables for years. Not only does Brad Macrus and his staff offer the best customer service, they also make, more importnatly, quality cables at a very reasonable price. I have been so ploeased with their cables, i have turned my employees and my HT vendor into customers as well. My last purchase was a 65 ft amplified HDMI 1.3a cable. Not only did it come double tagged reminding me of which side is source, and which side is link, it also labeled them on the connectors as well (which I should add wre two different colors). The level of color and saturation in video is exquisite, especially over a long run. I also own approximately 6 or 7 6 ft hdmi cables from better cables as well as numerous digital cables and speaker cables. www.bettercables.com

JerryDelColliano 08-16-2007 01:14 PM

Brad is a good guy and they are a former advertiser. Ironically, when he didn't renew - he said he didn't think our readers bought his cables!!! :)

If you are looking for a good source of an HDMI cable online also check into Accell Cables. They have some REALLY long HDMI runs that are effective.