Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 11-03-2009   #1

Question Samsung Interference/Handshake issues using baluns

I work for a home audio/video business. We have noticed several issues between the new model year Samsung LCD's and Blu Ray players. In many installations we use Cat-5 HDMI baluns to run video signal from the AV receiver to the monitor. We have noticed that since the new model Samsungs came out sometimes the picture "pops" in and out or does not show up at all. Even stranger... in a couple installations the flick of a light switch... or a fan switch... or an HVAC unit kicking on will cause the picture to cut out. This issue occurs regardless of the balun manufacturer. I know what you're thinking... interference because the Cat-5 cables are too close to a high-voltage line. This is what I thought, so we bypassed the in-wall cabling and simply stretched new Cat-5 cabling across the floor, reconnected it to (again, 4 or 5 different well-known balun manufacturers) and the SAME result happened every time. We also achieved the same result if we bypassed the AV receiver and hooked straight to the TV using the baluns. We even switched the wiring to Cat-6 to give us the best possible resistance to AC interference to no avail. This is troubling because we liked the products Samsung had to offer and are looking at abandoning it all-together... to say nothing of customers and quotes hanging in limbo.
On another note, if we change the blu-ray player to LG... the problem disappears. Has Samsung gone cheap and gotten rid of some video shielding? Or is it a problem with the baluns not keeping up to date with the latest HDMI versions which may be available now in Samsung models and not LG?
Any help is appreciated... we are scratching the skin off our heads on this one. Needless to say, Samsung won't be of much help.
MosDef06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #2
Administrator

Default Re: Samsung Interference/Handshake issues using baluns

Have you tried using a HDMI cable as a test? That could eliminate some possibilities.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #3

Yep. It works fine with an HDMI cable. The issue is distance from the equipment to the TV. In many installations, either the distance is too great for a factory cable, or a cable of that length wouldn't be cost-effective.
MosDef06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2009   #4
Administrator

I understand and have had many installations using the baluns. Key Digital is the brand that I have had the most success with. With the fact that there is no problem with a standard cable, I would be trying a HDMI repeater at the source. They boost the signals which may provide enough extra to get past the noise threshold. I would guess the one player has a slightly lower output level than the other.
rbinck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010   #5

I had the exact same problem the original post described but with different equipment. In a new home I had a Denon 1910 installed in the basement with HDMI over CAT6 to a Sony 52 inch XBR 9 using Snap AV baluns that are powered at the TV end of the system, not at the Denon. Electrical activity such as light switches on and off or the fridge going on and off caused the audio and video signal to cut out for a few seconds. I researched this on the internet a bit and found this problem described on a number of forums especially with Denons and Onkyo but none of them seemed to offer any solutions.

We thought it might be high voltage near the Cat6 so we plugged in the equipment via an electrical plug and ran new Cat6 up the stairs. It still cut out. I replaced the Denon 1910 with a Denon 2310. No better. I exchanged emails with Denon who said they had heard of this problem before with the baluns we were using and suggested we use more expensive baluns. My av guy had a theory that perhaps the denon was sensitive to fluctuations in the electrical system and that might be fixed by using baluns that are pwoered at the Denon end of things instead of at the TV. So we replaced the Snap baluns with Audio Control baluns that are powered at the Denon end of the chain.

Problem fixed.
Blantyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010   #6

We are an A/V dealer having the same problems. We have used several different equipment manufacturers with mixed results. We began thinking it may be caused by arch fault circuits which are being phased in as code to most rooms in our area, but we tested a project by removing all arch fault breakers and still had the problem.

I was wondering if anyone has made any headway with this problem?
thanks
Jason
Electronics2you
jwalter007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, balun, baluns, blu, cable, elan, forum, handshake, hdmi, interference, issues, line, long, problems, ray, samsung, voltage