Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 01-02-2009   #13

Default Re: Upconverting DSS encrypted DVD's

Happy New Year to all - got to be better than the last year ......

Rex, I appreciate your comments and am just making sure I understand the encryption issue.

So, an encrypted DVD will be upconverted by the HDTV to it's native resolution. But, if you want to use the DVD player to upconvert with possible a better quality, that won't be allowed.

Example: the Toshiba E-500 player with the supposedly better way to upscale - this unit will not work with encrypted DVDs, but a DVD played on them will be upcoverted by the TV to the native resolution.

Is this right????

Also, I need to get up to speed on the HDCP concept itself. Is there a better post somewhere which covers that ??

Thanks for your help on this; the technology rushes ahead in all areas and we end up with these kinds of issues.
dcellob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009   #14
rex

In general, any upconverting DVD player will only upconvert over an HDMI connection. However, if you use component output, the TV will still display the signal at its native resolution. HDCP is mandatory with HDMI (it is possible but not required with DVI). Wikipedia has a good summary of HDCP: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDCP
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #15

Thanks Rex.
dcellob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009   #16

An upconverting DVD player will upconvert copy protected DVDs over its HDMI output only. If you have a display with an HDMI input, use it for the best possible picture quality.

Last edited by faberryman; 01-03-2009 at 09:48 AM..
faberryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
480p, cables, component, copy, copyprotected, cssencrypted, discs, dss, dvd, dvds, encrypted, issues, past, upconvert, upconverting