Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 02-03-2008   #1

Question HDMI, Easy or Nightmare? How was your experience?

I've heard of some real nightmares on the HDMI front, handshake issues seem to be at the top of the list.

I was lucky I guess, I've not had a problem with HDMI so far.
I have a DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR, Sony Playstation 3 & a Sony NS3100ES DVD player going to a Denon 3808ci AVR & then out to a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 & they all talked to each other first time.
I'm using inexpensive HDMI cables but none of them are over 6' in length.

So what has your experience been with HDMI?
Good, Bad or Ugly?
List what kind of gear & cables (& their lengths) you are using & what problems if any you had & how you resolved the problems.

I still have more gear to add in the future including a projector & a standalone Blu-Ray player & some of the HDMI cable runs will be 20'-30' so Ill be interested in hearing everyones experience with their HDMI setups.
TheMoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #2

Default Re: HDMI, Easy or Nightmare? How was your experience?

Well, Moose. Where do I start?

Having been an extremely early adopter of both Blu-ray and HD DVD and using HDMI from my cable box before they were supposed to even be active (found out how to reset the box to bypass Brighthouse's sht off!) I have had my share of issues.

Some components simply would not mate to others, the Samsung BDP-1200 comes to mind with my Sony XBR TV, kept going to a purple screen that made me have to go into the set up menu's of the Sammie and switch the type of HDMI output.

Just today I was rewiring the video in my main rig as I couldn't get a pre/pro to consistently pass the signal from my Toshiba HD XA2, I kept having video occasionally drop out every few minutes making it unwatchable. This was despite using anything from Monoprice $5 HDMI cables to $200 Audioquests. The final solution? I needed more switching than this gave anyway so I added an old 3:1 HDMI switcher to the mix after the pre/pro and things are better.

Oh, wait, I had another issue in this switch today.... I was using the cable to test if the video was working properly before reprogramming my Harmony 890 and RF relay, well, I got audio and no picture. I tried everything, swapped cables, HDMI inputs, bypassed the secondary switcher, you name it, nothing worked. I finally tried the other sources and they all worked fine. For some reason I had to re-boot my cable box and then it worked. Again when I re-added the secondary switcher to the mix, cable stopped working again and I had to re-boot the box again.

You are pretty lucky Moose, these are some problems I had TODAY! Don't even get Andrew Robinson started on this one! While I think things are generally better than when the connector first came out, they still are pretty lame. Add to that the design of the connector itself, and horribly lame seems more appropriate!
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008   #3

My HDMI problems have all been with the components that receive and pass HDMI, not any cable, player, or display problems. I have switched out multiple cables thinking they were the culprit, but was wrong. It has always been the component that is receiving and passing the signal. I have 3 Mitsubishi 1080P LCDs, and a Sony projector that only show problems when a receiver/pre-amp component is not outputting the signal correctly. I will be displaying the HDMI input on the screen and get a "no signal" message on the display.

My problems have been with receivers and pre-amps that are not synching and passing the signal properly. Usually a hard reset on the receiver or pre-amp will fix the problem. Also, I have noticed I usually only get these problems after power outages. The longer the power outage, the more likely to have problems.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008   #4

Talking Re: HDMI, Easy or Nightmare? How was your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoose View Post
I've heard of some real nightmares on the HDMI front, handshake issues seem to be at the top of the list.

I was lucky I guess, I've not had a problem with HDMI so far.
I have a DirecTV HR20 HD-DVR, Sony Playstation 3 & a Sony NS3100ES DVD player going to a Denon 3808ci AVR & then out to a Sony KDS-R70XBR2 & they all talked to each other first time.
I'm using inexpensive HDMI cables but none of them are over 6' in length.

So what has your experience been with HDMI?
Good, Bad or Ugly?
List what kind of gear & cables (& their lengths) you are using & what problems if any you had & how you resolved the problems.

I still have more gear to add in the future including a projector & a standalone Blu-Ray player & some of the HDMI cable runs will be 20'-30' so Ill be interested in hearing everyones experience with their HDMI setups.
My hdmi experience has been plesant -mind you, I only use hdmi for video. My first HDMI component was my PC. My next was my HDTV cable box and then my HD-DVD and Blu-ray(blu-ray resides in my PC) players. I have two HDMI monitors (32 inch and a projector) which necessitates the need for a HDMI Switch. I bought one....For a total of $86.00!!!!!! It's HDCP compliant HDMI 1.3a, 1080P, does deep color, remote, has amplification and equalization, three inputs and two outputs! This thing works great!!!! I removed yards of component cables and VGA cables. My longest HDMI run is 40 ft and it handles it perfectly! The runs to my HD-DVD, Blu-ray/pc, and HDTV DVR are no more than 10ft at the longest. My cables were very inexpensive too. I bought the long one for about $35.00 and the short ones for about $7.00 this is including shipping (amazon and newegg). I haven't had any handshake problems and that switcher/ amplifier has made me feel good about China again (that's where I got it from). It works and works well.

Last edited by prerich; 02-04-2008 at 07:28 AM..
prerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2008   #5

Well, seems my cable box is more finicky than I figured, I have to reboot it again to get it to run through my pre/pro and subsequent switcher....

....can't all my gear just get along????
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2008   #6

I have a Yamaha RX V1800 receiver that is giving me connectivity issues. I can connect my Motorola DCT 6208 HD DVR digital cable box directly to my Sanyo PLV Z5 projector using a 25 ft HDMI cable and all is well. The cable box has DVI out, no HDMI, so I have used a DVI to HDMI adapter. When I connect the cable box to the receiver with a 6 ft HDMI cable and then to the projector with the 25 ft HDMI cable I sometimes get a picture for a second or two and then nothing at all. Can you help me solve this issue? I want to add a PS3 for Bluray and hd audio which requires HDMI connectivity so I want to get this issue solved. Right now everthing works fine connected by component cables and spdif (5.1 only)
Radfordian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dct, directv, drops, fix, hdmi, lcd, motorola, purple, sanyo, screen, stopped, sucks, tv, working