Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 02-15-2008   #7

Default Re: HDMI, Easy or Nightmare? How was your experience?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radfordian1 View Post
I have a Yamaha RX V1800 receiver that is giving me connectivity issues. I can connect my Motorola DCT 6208 HD DVR digital cable box directly to my Sanyo PLV Z5 projector using a 25 ft HDMI cable and all is well. The cable box has DVI out, no HDMI, so I have used a DVI to HDMI adapter. When I connect the cable box to the receiver with a 6 ft HDMI cable and then to the projector with the 25 ft HDMI cable I sometimes get a picture for a second or two and then nothing at all. Can you help me solve this issue? I want to add a PS3 for Bluray and hd audio which requires HDMI connectivity so I want to get this issue solved. Right now everthing works fine connected by component cables and spdif (5.1 only)
Make sure you turn on the projector first, then the Yamaha. I know my Yamaha will put up an HDMI error and act difficult it is the first component powered on in the chain.

Also, make sure in the Yamaha menu that you do have it set up to output video through your HDMI connection.
rlpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008   #8

Smile Re: HDMI, Easy or Nightmare? How was your experience?

Thanks for the tip. I do have the right menu options selected, don't think I have tried the projector on first. I have to get the cables out and try that when I get a chance. I'll let you know if it works. I sure hope so.

Last edited by Radfordian1; 02-18-2008 at 12:13 AM..
Radfordian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #9

My experience with HDMI was a PURE nightmare when I put my theater in. I tried 4 different switchers, 4 or 5 different types of cables - ALL with ZERO long term success on HDCP copy protected sources like HD DVD and Blu-ray.

I spent over $3,000 in labor trying to make things work ONLY to use component video outs KNOWING this wasn't the best my Meridian-Faroudja projector could look. At least it worked!!!!!

In the last month, I had to send back the Meridian gear (I am still sad) and replaced it with a JVC RDS2 projector (3 chip DILA) and DVDO VP50 pro. Without fail the HDMI switching works like a charm in the DVDO. The Dtrovision optical cable is a MUST HAVE for videophiles looking to the best in 1080p to their projector and even between their sources. Its easily $800 but it rocks and is ROCK SOLID!!!!

NOTE: my bedroom system has an HD DVR and an HDMI DVD player (a Sony) which work JUST FINE and NEVER have a handshake issue. WHY - you ask? Because they don't have HDCP copy protection which is the REAL problem here.

If you want to see images of my rack when it was hooked up without HDMI check the ModernHomeTheater.com link below. (slides 6 and 7)

http://www.modernhometheater.com/vir...nce/slideshow/
Old 02-21-2008   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryDelColliano View Post
In the last month, I had to send back the Meridian gear (I am still sad) and replaced it with a JVC RDS2 projector (3 chip DILA) and DVDO VP50 pro.
Ok I have to ask:

How does the RDS2/DVDO combo fair compared to the Meridian/Faroudja?

I also wonder if Meridian is going to take the RS1 or RS2 and tweak it like they did with past JVC units...
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #11

I asked the same question about my HDMI connectivity issues to Yamaha support and they tell me that myset top box and many others are HDMI 1.0 which does not recognize a receiver. They only recognize display devices, so I am resigned to use component video in this case and wait until my cable company upgrades their boxes. I tried turning the different components on in different orders but it did not help. Thanks for the suggestion though.
Radfordian1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radfordian1 View Post
I asked the same question about my HDMI connectivity issues to Yamaha support and they tell me that myset top box and many others are HDMI 1.0 which does not recognize a receiver.
Well, to some degree they are right, older HDMI can be more glitchy, I have had issues with my SA 8300 HD DVR passing through SOME pre/pro's and receivers, while it is fine with others.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
audio, dct, directv, drops, fix, hdmi, lcd, motorola, purple, sanyo, screen, stopped, sucks, tv, working