Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 04-15-2008   #25

Default Re: Good - Better - Best in HDMI cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves2Watch View Post
Absolute hogwash and it has been scientifically and audibly proven time and time again that power conditioners do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to improve sound. It is the placebo effect and nothing more no matter what you say or "thought" you heard.
Loves2Watch,

I challenge you to NOT see an improvement in sound with the PurePower conditioner I am using!

If you don't hear a difference with this in line, you are blessed as you have no need to buy expensive audio gear! As for your cable comment, many feel strongly on both sides of this coin. Having a box that is three feet square and at least two feet tall of JUST cable, I can say I've been through my share and cables DO make a difference, even with digital, and as HDMI is digital audio and video, they do make a difference, both in picture and audio performance to my eyes and ears. I use some Monoprice and Blue Jeans cables, but not in my reference rig where the cables really can show themselves.

KT
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008   #26

2 years ago I moved into the city from a rural area. The change in the sound of my system was not small. If I wanted to really enjoy my stereo I had to wait until late at night, usually after midnight before my system sounded anywhere near as clean as it did out in the country. I added a dedicated circuit breaker, new duplex socket, and a modest power conditioner. The background from which the sound comes is now much quieter. Where there used to be a granular texture to high frequency notes there is now a smoothness that wasn't there before I isolated my equipment from the rest of the household and added the power conditioner. It sounds better still late at night. It may be because the rest of the city is also quieter or it may be less stuff on the electrical grid but whatever it is, there is an improvement in the sound I hear.
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyt View Post
Loves2Watch,

I challenge you to NOT see an improvement in sound with the PurePower conditioner I am using!

If you don't hear a difference with this in line, you are blessed as you have no need to buy expensive audio gear! As for your cable comment, many feel strongly on both sides of this coin. Having a box that is three feet square and at least two feet tall of JUST cable, I can say I've been through my share and cables DO make a difference, even with digital, and as HDMI is digital audio and video, they do make a difference, both in picture and audio performance to my eyes and ears. I use some Monoprice and Blue Jeans cables, but not in my reference rig where the cables really can show themselves.

KT
And if you "believe" you hear a difference, good for you! I have been and still am an audiophile and have both done exclusive testing and been a contributor in professional lab testing of such equipment. The placebo effect you feel (hear) is well documented as is the proof that power conditioners do nothing but make YOU feel better. Being a professional sound engineer for many years, I look at equipment from a scientific and reality approach and although equipment such as this makes wild claims, I know better and have proved so in laboratories and field tests many times.
Anthem, Conrad Johnson, Dish Network/JVC, Dynaudio, Infinity, Integra, JL Audio, Klipsch, Magnepan, Marantz, Martin Logan, Onkyo, Oppo, Outlaw Audio, Panasonic, Paradigm, REL, Sumiko, SVSound, and Toshiba are the brands equipment I currently use. I have owned/used and tested equipment made by just about any manufacturer you can name.
Loves2Watch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #28

The Purepower stuff made a big difference in the sound of my gear for sure. With it out, I can hear a low hiss through the tweeters and some form of faint electronic "noise". When it is inline, it is dead quiet. When I say quiet, I mean ANY noise is gone. My PS Audio P300 has the same effect, but there was still noise from my amp, as the P300 has a 300 watt load capacity. The Purepower 1050 handles my whole system with ease.

As far as noticing the audible differences goes, it is sometimes harder for me to hear smaller differences that cables make in someone else's gear in an unfamiliar environment. But in my gear, in my listening room, I can definately tell the difference.

I purchased a Manley Skipjack. You can plug 2 (up to 4) analog RCA sources as inputs, with one RCA (or 2) analog out. You can set it to automatically, randomly switch between the inputs. I tested a pair of Blue Jeans Cable RCA analog cables against a pair of Musical Design Aura RCA cables. I listened, and could definately tell an audible difference. After that, I plugged in the "pickle" that it comes with the Skipjack (25' cord), and manually switched between that 2, so at the end, I could see which one I was listening to. I had no problems picking out the Musical Design cables. Would I have heard as dramatic an improvement in an unfamiliar environment? Probably not. In my system, where my ears are tuned into listening, I could tell.

The Purepower gear is not one of these subtle changes, however. It is a dramatic change.
HT Junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #29
rex

Ken,
I have to give you credit for stubborness. But this is one argument you simply can not win, at least when it comes to digital cables. If we agree that digital signals are streams of one's and zero's (which is indisputable), then regardless of the cable, those same one's and zero's will always produce the exact same picture, sound, etc.
If the cable incorrectly transmits the ones and zeros (or some of them), you have a serious problem and need to replace the bad cable. Otherwise, it is simply not possible for a digital cable to transmit a superior (or an inferior) signal. The same ones and zeros will result in the exact same picture or sound. How could the same ones and zeros possibly produce anything different? This is not a matter of debate or personal preference or anything else. It is scientific fact. The title of this thread is completely misguided. There are no varying levels of performance in digital cables -- no better, no best -- just good and bad.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008   #30

HTJunky,

I agree whole heartedly about the PurePower gear! I was floored by the improvement in my rig, despite what L2W feels, I KNOW what I heard, and like you, it wasn't subtle.

As I said in my review, I started out adding one component ata time, source, pre/pro, then eventually the full rig and the difference with it in vs out was amazingly obvious.

Some people do not believe, or maybe do not hear the differences, some do not have systems revealing enough to demonstrate the differences. I am not saying they are wrong, it's their opinion and findings and that is what we all need to go on. If you don't hear an improvement, don't buy into the technology.

I for one have seen the light.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3400, buy, cable, cables, consumer, created, equal, fiber, hdmi, optic, reports, sound, transparent, vizionware, whats