Audio Video Revolution Forum  

Go Back   Audio Video Revolution Forum > Everything HDTV, High-end Video, HD DVD, Blu-ray and beyond > HDMI

HDMI Switchers, cables, routers, HDCP copy protection and more discussed here.

Old 02-14-2008   #13

Default Re: Good - Better - Best in HDMI cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
Rex,
These are the same people that buy $1000.00 power cables, spikes for their CD players, wood blocks for their power amplifiers and claim that there is a immense improvement in sonic performance.
That's not really fair. I don't see much of a difference at all between a $10 and $300 HDMI cable but I see the difference in a good rack, power cables, speaker cables, etc. I don't know about wood blocks though.

There is a difference in the cables but if the cable works it will work well. Some slight improvement may be seen with another cable but not necessarily another cable that is more expensive.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #14
rex

Moose,
I certainly see what you mean about not taking any chances with cables installed behind dry wall, especially long ones. (When we recently switched from cable to satellite, we had to replace our in-wall RG-59 with RG-6 -- not a fun experience!)
My initial point was just that any digital cable that is working properly (i.e. transmitting the ones and zeros accurately) will be indistinguishable from any other in terms of picture quality, etc. Therefore, it makes no sense whatsoever to speak of "high-end" cables vs. "mid-level" vs. "lower-end", as if there were a range of performance levels to meet the varying needs of consumers with differing demands for "quality".
Generally speaking a faulty cable should be readily noticeable, though, as noted by Lotus, there may be a picture, just with lost packets of pixels or other artifacts. I also agree with Lotus' point that name brand, more expensive cables, are not necessarily less likely to be faulty.
Furthermore, retailers have exorbitant markups on cables and routinely employ a lot of marketing misinformation to justify their ridiculous prices. (Analog cables, on the other hand, do have varying degrees of performance, though I am sure there is a lot of exaggerated misinformation in the marketing of these, as well.)
Just my $.02.
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by rex View Post
My initial point was just that any digital cable that is working properly (i.e. transmitting the ones and zeros accurately) will be indistinguishable from any other in terms of picture quality, etc.
Rex,

While years ago I used to believe this, swapping digital audio cables and video cables DO make a difference, sorry but I must completely disagree with you on this one, it sounds right in theory, but in practice, it doesn't pan out.
kennyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #16

Wink Re: Good - Better - Best in HDMI cables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
That's not really fair.... I see the difference in a good rack, power cables, speaker cables, etc. I don't know about wood blocks though....
Lotus,
The absurdity of the $1000.00 power cables is that they still interface with low-cost two-wire w ground Romex and the run through the power panel to the power feed transformer. I guess with these people are what goes on behind the wall and outside the house doesn't count! See no evil, hear no evil...
Ken S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken S View Post
Lotus,
The absurdity of the $1000.00 power cables is that they still interface with low-cost two-wire w ground Romex and the run through the power panel to the power feed transformer. I guess with these people are what goes on behind the wall and outside the house doesn't count! See no evil, hear no evil...
No doubt, but isn't that what a power conditioner is for? The power conditioner combined with high dollar power cables can make a sonic difference. I've been part of blind tests and they surely do make a difference.

Can a great power cable make a difference without power conditioning? Yes, but not to the same degree as a power conditioner can. Combined the two can provide a rather good sound.
Lotus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008   #18

I`m waiting for the new XLO HT pro 1.3 HDMI cables.
wotg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

Tags
2008, 3400, buy, cable, cables, consumer, created, equal, fiber, hdmi, optic, reports, sound, transparent, vizionware, whats