Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi-26/)
-   -   HDMI Cables (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi/134-hdmi-cables.html)

LindaE 06-04-2007 12:55 PM

HDMI Cables

From what I have read, unlike interconnects where the right cable can make a remarkable difference, there is not a big difference in HDMI cables - is that correct?

LindaE

bluextatic 10-24-2008 11:42 AM

Re: HDMI Cables

That's what I have read also. Most all of the HDMI cables sold come from one or two factories in China, and from there they are badged to who ever. Very few are made in the US.

wes 11-21-2008 11:46 AM

HDMI cables are of various quality but the cable either passes or not there is no in between like analogue.

So don't do like I did and spend a ton of cash on a cable that just did on me. Go with the cheapest and try out if it doesn't work return and try an other one

here is a cool site http://www.web-star.com/articles/200...les_for_13.php

bluextatic 11-25-2008 08:10 PM

I bought one of my HDMI cables from Monoprice.com, and it seems to be great. & very well built. I bought another one from Bluejeanscable.com and it too seems very good. As long as the length of the HDMI cable isn't too long,( say 8 or 10 feet or a little more) there does not seem to be much difference, if you spend less than $15 or spend $1000.00 I saw a comparision somewhere and out of about fourty cables, only one did not pass the signal over about six or eight feet and it was a well known brand, that cost a small fortune. Myself, I read all the HDMI stuff at bluejeanscable.com and bought one of their middle priced cables and am very happy. I would never fall for an expensive cable that promises everything, and yet is no better than a $15 bluejeans or monoprice cable.

wes 12-01-2008 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bluextatic (Post 18960)
I bought one of my HDMI cables from Monoprice.com, and it seems to be great. & very well built. I bought another one from Bluejeanscable.com and it too seems very good. As long as the length of the HDMI cable isn't too long,( say 8 or 10 feet or a little more) there does not seem to be much difference, if you spend less than $15 or spend $1000.00 I saw a comparision somewhere and out of about fourty cables, only one did not pass the signal over about six or eight feet and it was a well known brand, that cost a small fortune. Myself, I read all the HDMI stuff at bluejeanscable.com and bought one of their middle priced cables and am very happy. I would never fall for an expensive cable that promises everything, and yet is no better than a $15 bluejeans or monoprice cable.

I wished I had done my home work before forking $700 on the 50Ft HDMi VizionWare cable that is now kaput after only seven months of use!!! And since the company is bankrupt and has liquidated everything I am stuck with an expensive piece of copper cable!!

I bought a Blujeancable for a 10th of the price and it works great for now :) Let's see in a year?

mxbraun 02-26-2009 10:20 PM

I'd say it depends on the cable length. As wes said above, since this is digital, either it works, or it doesn't. "Does it ever _not_ work?" Oh yes...

My story of HDMI-Hell, where I resided uncomfortably for 3 months in late 2005-early 2006: I'd just bought a new Yamaha receiver with HDMI out and a new Philips HDTV. The TV was going on the living room wall of our new house >here<, and the receiver was going against the wall >there<, I figured I needed about a 35-foot run of cable (just over 10m.) This was HDMI 1.1--1080i maximum, and going to be buried in a wall.

For lengths from 1 to 5 meters: no problem. Price was irrelevant: they all worked. Once I got out past 10m, NOTHING worked, whether it cost $50 or $400. I bought and returned at least 5 cables from various vendors. I tried plain cables, cables with powered equalizers, a "HDMI-to-CAT5 ethernet" converter. I drove my AV store up the wall. I called Philips. I called Yamaha. (I heard, "We don't recommend HDMI past 5m," a lot. Hey, thanks!) Philips' locally contracted service rep refused to come and look at the TV. ("Their engineers say your cable's too long. It ain't gonna work.") Nobody knew how to fix the problem, although my local AV shop (where I'd bought the Amp) let me audition several cables, and offered what advice they could. (And that's why I ultimately bought the winner from them--they let me audition it, and put up with me.)

After a lot of trying, I found a Key Digital 40-ft Python cable plus an UltraLink HDMI in-line repeater would get the signal through reliably. That was the ONLY thing that would get the signal through. Total cost was somewhere between $300 and $400. (And then throw in the $50 or so in return shipping and insurance for the losers...ugh.) Yes, we buried it in the wall. Yes, someday, we may have to do it all over again for HDMI 1.3..or more. I've heard that longer runs are now more reliable. I'm in no hurry to experiment.

This wasn't a "I need the best picture I can afford" scenario--it was "Just make the <blank>ing thing work!!!" Hopefully you've got a short run, and monoprice is the right price. I wasn't so lucky.