Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HDMI (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi-26/)
-   -   Never enough! (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hdmi/1301-never-enough.html)

kennyt 12-15-2007 06:58 AM

Never enough!

HDMI inputs that is, I need six in my main system, and I only have a four to one and a three to one switcher making me run both to get the six I need. I hope companies soon start making six the standard!

CharlyD 12-15-2007 08:51 AM

Re: Never enough!

I completely agree! And when is a vendor going to offer a receiver/processor that does away with that forest of composite video, s-video, component video, audio, and digital interfaces on the back panel. HDMI makes all of those obsolete and unnecessary. Maybe just one or two sets of those would be sufficient for legacy components.

kennyt 12-15-2007 08:56 AM

CharlyD,

I don't know that I'm ready to give up all my analog ins, pretty sure I am not, but I have only used Digital for video since DVI came out, Composite? S-Video???? I hear you on, I would expect component to stay for a while as it is still a good way to transfer video, especially to an analog display, but the number of these is rapidly dropping off as well.

CharlyD 12-15-2007 09:29 AM

But I'm sure there's a significant portion of the market that is open to replacing key components and adding new sources (e.g. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) when purchasing that new flat-panel display. A receiver/processor with 6 HDMI inputs and one or two sets of legacy inputs (composite, s-video, component, etc.) could be offerred at a substantially lower price over a device with similar functionality but with several legacy inputs and 2-3 HDMI inputs. Purchase of such a device would be more compelling too if the vendors would agree to standardize the CEC codes so that all connected HDMI devices could be controlled through the display with a single remote.

kennyt 12-15-2007 12:09 PM

I don't care how they do it, I need more HDMI switching than almost anyone is offering. I wish the companies would catch up! Using two separate switchers is a huge PITA!

deacongreg 12-18-2007 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CharlyD (Post 7575)
But I'm sure there's a significant portion of the market that is open to replacing key components and adding new sources (e.g. HD-DVD/Blu-Ray) when purchasing that new flat-panel display. A receiver/processor with 6 HDMI inputs and one or two sets of legacy inputs (composite, s-video, component, etc.) could be offerred at a substantially lower price over a device with similar functionality but with several legacy inputs and 2-3 HDMI inputs. Purchase of such a device would be more compelling too if the vendors would agree to standardize the CEC codes so that all connected HDMI devices could be controlled through the display with a single remote.

Great idea, but getting vendors to agree on one idea or thought, almost impossible.