Audio Video Revolution Forum

Audio Video Revolution Forum (http://www.avrev.com/forum/index.php)
-   HD DVD Software & Hardware (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware-50/)
-   -   Yamaha RX-V3800 and Toshiba HD-XA2 (http://www.avrev.com/forum/hd-dvd-software-hardware/999-yamaha-rx-v3800-toshiba-hd-xa2.html)

mmoore 11-07-2007 06:35 AM

Yamaha RX-V3800 and Toshiba HD-XA2

Major decoding problems....Yamaha will not decode DD Plus or True HD from the Toshiba thru HDMI or Optical out.....It will display DD only......Has anyone else found this problem??Toshiba tells me the new A35 does output"raw" data and is the only one to do so....That's just great since there has been no mention of a firmware update addressing this problem for the HD-XA2.....Also, does anyone know if the A35 has the Reon Chip on board for upconverting SD DVD's???Thanks...Mike

tigeraudio2007 11-07-2007 10:05 AM

Re: Yamaha RX-V3800 and Toshiba HD-XA2

A few things here...

First the Toshiba HD-XA2 currently does not output Dolby TrueHD as bitstream for your receiver to decode. It only has an internal decoding processor for TrueHD and DD+. Theoretically, the HD-XA2 is HDMI 1.3 and should be compatible with carrying the bitstream audio, however, only time will tell if a firmware update will add this functionality. The HD-XA2 is also not capable of DTS Master HD Audio. It is however capable of extracting the "core" DTS audio from the DTS HD HR and DTS Master HD tracks (essentially just the standard DTS bitrate you would find on regular DVDs).

Second, DD+, TrueHD, DTS HD HR and DTS Master Audio can only be output via HDMI in either PCM or Bitstream formats (in the case of the HD-XA2 just internally decoded PCM). Toslink and Digital Coaxial does not have the bandwidth capable of carrying PCM or bitstream of the above mentioned audio formats.

Currently the Toshiba HD-A35 is the only HD DVD player to output TrueHD and DTS Master HD audio tracks via bitstream to a receiver capable of decoding these streams.

If your your receiver is displaying DD when using HDMI, go into the player's setup and change HDMI audio output to PCM. If you want toslink also connected, then I would probably leave that connection set as Bitstream and use it as a backup for normal DD tracks.

Basically, with the HD-XA2, your best option is to let the player internally decode all audio formats to PCM and output via HDMI to your receiver with is capable of receiving Multi-Channel PCM audio via HDMI.

Toshiba dropped the Silicon Optix HQV Reoon video chip in the HD-A35. The HD-A35 now uses the superior Anchor Bay VRS Technology. This is the same company that creates the outstanding video processors like the DVDO VP50 PRO.

Hope this helps.

mmoore 11-08-2007 06:47 AM

Thanks Tiger....I have changed the audio out from the XA2 to PCM and disconnected the optical, therefore running the audio through the HDMI...The Yamaha is receiving the multi channel info according to the front display(all five light are illuminated(including Dolby Digital),as well as the front of the Toshiba showing "multi"....Is this just strait DD being reproduced by the Yamaha???...Thank for your time..Mike

tigeraudio2007 11-08-2007 10:31 AM

It depends on what audio track you have selected on the HD DVD. If you have a Dolby TrueHD track playing then what the receiver is receiving is an "un"compressed PCM stream. This means that the player takes the Dolby TrueHD signal, decodes it internally, and then re-encodes it with a PCM bitstream header. While virtually the same as uncompressed PCM, TrueHD decoded in the player does not remain completely lossless.

I'm not sure what your receiver is supposed to display on the message screen. I can't imagine why the Dolby Digital light is on. It should just be Multi-channel PCM. But all these devices are not full compatible with each yet, so there are probably some bugs to work out.

For example, I know that the Samsung BD-P1400 Blu-ray player outputting PCM to an Onkyo receiver would display 7.1 even though it was a 5.1 PCM track. I'm fairly certain though that you are receiving the correct internally decoded TrueHD to PCM track.